should i zero my hard drive before returning it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by lyons238, Apr 8, 2010.

1. lyons238 macrumors 6502

im returning my hitachi hd and going back to the seagate 7200.4, its much better.

anyways should i zero my data before returning it to newegg or do you think they are safe and its not necessary?

2. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not a knock against newegg, but I would never send it back without at least a zeroing out.. I'm a bit more paranoid, so I'd 7-pass it.

3. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

well im zeroing it through usb right now and it says its going to take 5 hours. but i have to bring it to the ups store in about 2 :(

4. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

It's your personal data.. how much is it worth to you?

5. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i dont have any passwords saved or anything...and i could care less if someone looked at my pictures and stuff. what really is there to hide on my hd?

6. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Well.. you brought it up! :)

If there's nothing on there you don't care about a stranger looking at and rifling through, then don't bother.

7. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

well i mean its not like i would want them to be going through it but i mean the only thing valuable on there is my music. theres no way they could like get access to any of my credit cards is there?

also does anyone know what newegg does with there returned drives?

8. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

Not through your actual mp3 files, but who knows what information is cached on that hard drive and what a determined person could find. A password here, a website here, some personal info there, and it can build a picture towards a nefarious goal.

Is it likely to happen? Probably not. The next person who buys that drive likely won't know **** about that kind of stuff. Me, I'd never return a drive without making sure that the next person who gets it can't get a byte of my data off of it.

9. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

i didnt mean through my mp3 files, i just meant thats really all i have that would be valuable. but dont you think newegg would clear the drives before reselling them?

10. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

No idea.. There's no mention in their Returns page. If it's not defective, they'll likely repackage and resell, no? As far as I know, most places don't bother with that. Repackage & Resell. Whatever is on the drive isn't their problem, they only sell the hardware, not the content.

11. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah i see. well if i just erase the drive but not zero it. nothing will show up uness the person hunts fr it right/

12. famous600 macrumors 6502a

famous600

13. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

That's correct.

14. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

ok well i ended up zeroing it once...im not completely crazy about doing the 7 times one, especially through usb, it takes so long. it took 1 hour for me to zero my old drive directly in the hd. it took over 4 hours to zero it through the usb. but thanks for your advice guys.

15. hamlinspahn macrumors regular

Is this a Joke

If you can zero you should zero. You may just think you have pictures of kittens on it but you could just a easily have bank info on it. Zero Zero Zero in fact download a hard drive cleaner and wipe it several times you can never do it enough.

16. yellow Moderator emeritus

yellow

7-pass is just my level of paranoia, your milage may vary. However, I think you made the right choice. A simple zeroing out will force a miscreant to be determined to look for your information and not get very much of it.

17. lyons238 thread starter macrumors 6502

yeah also, another point is i only had the drive for about a 3 weeks, so not much collected on it