Should I?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by RyanMacm, Feb 16, 2012.

1. RyanMacm macrumors member

RyanMacm

I just got a macbook pro 13' i'm battling if I should get the macbook air 13" low end instead? Anyone got an advice for me? What i do online is: watch movies (netflix and yourtvseries.eu) Facebook, tumblr, youtube, uploading videos from my iPhone 4, take photos, buying music, movies, and checking e-mail. What do you guys think? :)

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Either model will easily accommodate your needs.

Also, you may have better success in attracting responses to your thread, and you'll make your thread easier to find for those browsing the forum for the same answers, if you follow this tip.

3. anirudh macrumors 6502

Yes you most certainly should :D

There is no reason apart from maybe the higher color gamut why one would choose the 13" MBP over the 13" Air. And for the tasks you mentioned, the Air won't even break a sweat. Make the jump and you will be glad

4. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

I'd recommend that you "should". The MBA is fast, (the SSD is blazingly fast when compared with a standard HDD), and the screen resolution is excellent (better than the MBP). Moreover, it is extremely portable.

It should be more than easily capable of dealing with what you intend to ask of it.

5. JMies419 macrumors 6502

I had a hard time deciding between the 13" Pro and the Air too. I ended up going with the Air and could not be happier, love it!

6. mariotr87 macrumors regular

7. Bear macrumors G3

From all the things you list, it brings up some points to consider:
    • "Taking photos" How much disk space is going to be needed, and what tools are you using to edit them? This sounds like it's the only thing you're using the system for that could be impacted by the 4GB ram limit.
    • Will a 256GB SSD be enough for your carry around needs, or will you need to carry an external drive?
    • It doesn't sound like you would need to carry around an external optical drive, but remember if you do, that's weight as well.
    In general it sounds like the Air might be better for you, but you do need to think of what else it may cause you to carry.

8. lamboman macrumors 6502

I recently thought the same thing through and ended up getting an early 2011 base MBP. The only reason for me was the extra power the MBP offers would be useful with Handbrake, and the higher colour gamut of the MBP was significant enough for me to pick it over the MBA. I don't do any graphics work, but I found the MBP display far easier to look at.

Also, when you are viewing webpages full screen, the MBA doesn't give you anything over the MBP; most pages are still designed with 1024x768 in mind. If the page does reflow to fill the higher resolution, again, it doesn't really make much of a difference.

Finally, I prefer the keyboard on the MBP slightly to the MBA. The MBA keyboard is a bit more like the desktop Apple keyboard, which I'm not a huge fan of; the keys are firmer and don't have as much "give" at the bottom of the key in comparison to the MBP, but again, this is completely personal preference.

The best thing for you to do is to go to a shop and take a look at both, just to see which you prefer. Your priorities will most likely differ to mine!

If you are going to buy a MBA, definitely go for a refurb if you can. The discounts are fantastic and bring it in line (slightly under actually) with the price of the MBP. If you're looking at the MBP, searching for an early 2011 model is a good idea, the discounts will be large for what is an identical system (aside from the 0.1GHz difference in speed).

9. chipz macrumors member

Should I?

The MBA is a great choice. I faced the same dilemma a little while back and settled for the MBA and I'm glad I did. The whole machine is a lot more portable and the SSD is blazingly fast! The MBA will perform as well or better than the MBP. You might want to consider getting the outboard SuperDrive if you use your computer to watch videos. I have the 13" MBA with the 256 GB SSD and 4 GB RAM and I couldn't be happier. It does everything I want in a nice compact package.