Should I...

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by blazeken996, Jun 13, 2012.

1. blazeken996, Jun 13, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

blazeken996 macrumors member

Hi all,

I really need some second opinions and I can't really make a decision. So basically what I was wondering was should I get a new macbook?

But the things that are putting me off is that, I'm still in High School, going into this year in September.

But... I have a Macbook (Non-pro but unibody) 13 Inch from September 2008. It works fine for documents but the battery life is really terrible (2-3 hours if I'm lucky.). I have a desktop at home that I built for gaming and video editing and really only use my laptop for documents and word processing.

But I graduate this time next year, and will have a 8 month gap and will be serving in the army for 2 years as a Singaporean.

So the big question is, should I purchase a new Macbook?

2. aaronw1986 macrumors 68030

I'd say no. You said, "It works flawlessly right now and for my uses its really great!" What's the point then? Buy the next revision in a year before you leave.

3. BlazednSleepy macrumors 6502a

You've already answered the question yourself. Your in highschool, you don't need any more than you have now.

4. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Yeah. If you can get by with what you have, the only reason to buy something would be if you have reason to believe that nothing after it will be good enough -- say, if you need firewire for something, buy a firewire MBP when it looks like they're going to go away, for instance.

5. charpi macrumors regular

Nope IMO. After serving your NS 2 years later there will be better options ;)

Either way since you already have a desktop, and in this 8 months I guess you do not need much portable computing, the macbook would be redundant.

During army I doubt you can bring laptops inside. So no matter how you look at it a new macbook would not get much use. If you are stay out probably you'd go home and use your desktop. If you are stay in then even worse, only Saturday and Sunday.

6. blazeken996 thread starter macrumors member

The problem here is the 2 hour battery life on the current MBP that I have.

7. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

If it had better than that when you got it, you might consider a battery. We just put a new battery in a 2008 that was down to about 5 minutes, and it improved a lot. Otherwise, yeah, that could be a reason to upgrade.

8. blazeken996 thread starter macrumors member

Battery is at 94% capacity =|

9. Suno macrumors 6502

Suno

How important is battery life to you?

I can understand in college, some courses can last up to hours and outlets aren't available everywhere, especially in big auditorium-style classes with thousands of students.

But you're in high school. Now, unless they changed the policy within the past 2 years since I've graduated, you can't use laptops in class (or in school, period).

Which means the only other place you'll be using your laptop is at home (which you have your gaming rig for) or some place outside that you most likely won't be needing 2-full hour of laptop usage. Library, maybe, but outlets are plentiful there. Same goes for places like Barnes and Noble where you might study.

All in all, I would say just wait. It works great, and by the time you need to upgrade, a better Macbook will be out.

10. blazeken996 thread starter macrumors member

Nope I go to an international school, not a local one here in China, Beijing. I also study Computer Science with Java being the language being learned here.

We use the laptop for each and every one of our classes.

11. TheMacBookPro, Jun 14, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2012

TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

Calibrate the battery and check what kind of processes you're running in the background. A battery with 94% capacity should not last only 2 hours. (unless you're doing some seriously intensive tasks, in which case a new laptop is not likely to be much better)

Plenty of high schools have considered students using laptops or computers when designing the syllabus- it's considered a fairly important educational tool nowadays. I don't think it was a recent change either.

12. jeopardy2311 macrumors regular

if battery is a big issue for you and replacing it doesn't help. then yes get a new laptop..