iPhone XS Should I...?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ramonsterrr1981, May 9, 2019.

1. Ramonsterrr1981, May 9, 2019
    Last edited: May 9, 2019

Ramonsterrr1981 macrumors newbie

Ramonsterrr1981

Should I still buy the XS now OR wait a couple of months for the new phone...? I am really starting to get frustrated with the speed and the battery life of the 6 in comparison to all the new phones out there.

I have been to an Apple Store and looked at the XR too, but I don't think I want to shell out money on an LCD when I feel like it's investing into yesterday's technology. I'm sure it's a great phone but coming from a 6 I want something that feels completely new. Also, I'd like an OLED screen and a great camera. The XR feels a little hefty to me. The XS doesn't feel that way.

So, in short: would you recommend upgrading now and getting the XS because it's still a great upgrade OR wait it out a couple of months more and buy the next gen iPhone?

Just curious for now, not in a rush to buy within the next week or anything.

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

This is something you really need to resolve for yourself. Sounds like getting a phone now or in a month, will be "stretching" the finances a bit.

Why not keep saving your money and by September you will have the money to do as you wish and some to spare to leave in your savings account.

3. Ramonsterrr1981, May 9, 2019

Ramonsterrr1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ramonsterrr1981

I don't know if I should invest now when a newer model is just around the corner. Even though i'm really fed up with my current phone. But thanks for the reply anyway!

4. ARizz44, May 9, 2019

ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

Can you elaborate a bit on what you truly value in your phone? Is there a particular size? Is the Max an option for you size wise? Do you watch a lot of movies, Netflix, etc.? How important is the camera? These things would help better guide you while keeping in mind that ultimately you must make the best decision for you.[/QUOTE]

5. Ramonsterrr1981 thread starter macrumors newbie

Ramonsterrr1981

Obviously I’m the only one who can make the decision in the end.

I occasionally watch Netflix but not often, the better camera is something that I’m really looking forward to as I really like taking photos. I also play the occasional game. All in all more interested in having a speedy phone with a decent camera than a bigger screen. The XS size is good enough for me. Mind you, I’m coming from a 6... I do want OLED now though, so the XR is a no for me.

6. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

I'll echo what's been said ... the choice is up to you.

recommendation:
    Save the money ... invest it, let it work for you. Wait until late September/October ... then make a purchase or decision on getting the XS as store supplies last. I have a feeling Apple will once again red the current year model (XS this time) like they did with the X in order to prompt for sales of new units. Considering the XIr will replace the XR and get 2 cameras, especially if it's still LCD why would anyone get that other than CPU/RAM when the XS already has 2 camera's and you're a selfie nut and must have the rumoured 12MP front camera vs current 7MP.

Honestly, the XS is a good package in comparison to the X but there is a large thread of people having LTE issues with the XS. Something that maybe software based yet I'm personally not sure.

In the meantime .. Save your data (pictures if not already in iCloud), to a backup to iCloud and iTunes. WIPE the iPhone 6 clean and setup as a new device, connecting your iTunes/Pics/Vids via iCloud but that may help you last until September.

7. fmenard macrumors newbie

I was faced with the same situation, have had a 6 since they came out, and the battery life has been deteriorating significantly (I missed out on the half price battery replacement program). I thought long and hard about getting an Xs, but had concerns about the coming implementation of 5G. I assume that we won't have a final version of the new technologies for a few years, so a less expensive phone looked reasonable. I settled on an 8, last phone with a home button, good cpu and what's been said to be the best battery life of all the recent iPhones. I haunted the refurb store, waiting for a normal size 8 to appear, and then the a small (1/2") crack appeared in the lower right corner of the screen. Realizing that it would be difficult to sell the 6 with this issue, I took a look at the trade-in program Apple's been offering on new phones. I answered the condition questions truthfully, disclosing the crack (it doesn't affect the phone's function), and the trade-in value of $150 didn't change. So I got an 8 with 64gig storage with a $150 discount if the offer is good after the 6 is returned. It was the only reasonable way out that I could see, and will surely last until the new 5G technology matures. The 8 I bought is unlocked, with a Qualcom modem. I figure I'm set for the next three phone models or so.

8. ARizz44 macrumors 6502a

ARizz44

The reason I asked the questions I did is to make sure you’re aware of the new territory you are entering. The 5.8” X/XS use a different aspect ratio so in some cases you’ll be watching letterboxed videos and having the notch play a larger part in interference vs on the Max. But if you’re set on the smaller phone it’s a moot point.

Everything about the new phones are rumors right now. I happen to give them more credibility than others do here so that said, we could be looking at the most major camera upgrade ever this fall if the front camera moves from 7mp to 12mp, the new sensors are larger, and a third sensor for perhaps wide angle photos and improved low light. That alone would cause me to wait as the camera is my highest priority. If the camera on the XS is good enough for you and you won’t have remorse if the next camera lives up to the rumors then get the XS now.

9. jjohnstonjr macrumors regular

jjohnstonjr

Here are something's to consider when you are weighing this option:
    -you already know what the current phones can and will do based off phone comparisons via phonescoop
    -you have three different options price wise to purchase if money is an issue
    -if you phone is crapping out on your now then make a move and go for something for certain
    -with several leaks going on with the newer iPhone do you need the extra camera although we don't know what it does yet
    -what matters to you the most? This is something you and you alone can answer and should

10. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

if the phone works I would wait, its just a couple of months... You can deal with some slowness for a couple of months... It will be worth it when you get the latest and greatest.... Or if you get the current model for cheaper.

11. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The biggest upgrade that’s coming this fall for the 2019 iPhone 11 is the ‘triple lens camera’, if that is something that would generally interest you, then I would wait, as the camera upgrade is slated to be fairly significant this year. Otherwise, I would imagine the ‘iPhone 11’ will be very similar to what the XS is now, which also will be discounted in the fall or discontinued all together, which you *should* be able to find cheaper as well. So if you waited, you could make the decision of purchasing the iPhone 11 or the XS discounted later on. I would also suggest just waiting.

12. joeblow7777 macrumors 603

Personally, I say that if you've managed this long with your current phone, as long as it's still functional, you're better off waiting. Only 4 months until September. How will you feel if you buy a Xs now, when in just a few short months there will be a model that's faster, more powerful, and with a better camera and more features? Even if the "XI" doesn't impress you, you'll be able to get an Xs for cheaper.

13. Wide opeN macrumors 6502a

Wide opeN

I would see about getting the Xs @ discount. They should be out there.

iPhone 2019 is DOA as far as I'm concerned. No 5G, Qualcomm will be back in 2020. Why would anyone want the 2019!?

Hell, like another posted maybe the iPhone 8 is even worth a look!?

Won't be upgrading until 2021 @ the earliest.