Should I?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by lamborghinipro, Jun 10, 2008.

1. lamborghinipro macrumors newbie

I've heard about the supposed price drops, but they have started in February and I haven't seen squat. I'm a teenager, and $100 may take a while to come by, while trying to also save up for a car, gas, etc. I currently have ~10GB of music, but I also keep a lot of songs that I never listen to. That could be reduced. I also like to watch TV shows, and that could account for a bit of memory as well.

I could:

-Save more, for 16gb after price cut
    -Buy 8GB
    -Buy 16GB
    -Save more, for 32gb after price cut

I currently have ~$215 saved up, and that's what I can get a used 8 gig Touch for on Amazon (which is fine with me).

Please help!

[EDIT]

I can get the 8GB on amazon for $200 and the 16GB for $300 (used, of course), but getting the 16 would mean saving $100 more)

And I am impatient (I want one now! :( )

2. mrwooding macrumors newbie

mrwooding

As much as i'd love to tell you to go get one right now, i think your gonna be crammed into a 8GB. I knew i would be and i got a 16GB and im still cramming. Do you plan to put movies, tv shows, or aything else on it too?

the other thing you might wanna consider doing is getting the new iphone 3G 16GB for the same price and just not get it connected to a carrier, not to mention it will be new. It has the same capabilities and is sleeker. Just an idea. Comes out July 11th.

3. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

If i can, yes. I dont know for sure how much music I can take off, but I'm sure I can just make a smart playlist and sync only music that I'v eplayed more than once.

4. mrwooding macrumors newbie

mrwooding

Yeah, i have about 8GBs of music and i only put on only the songs with at least 1 play and it cut my library in half, im not sure if this is the same for you, but i get a lot of music from friends cuz they say its good and never listen to it.

5. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

So if I could reduce my music in half, would it be worth getting the 8 gig now?

6. bndoarn macrumors 6502a

i don't think thats gonna work this time. i seen on a web site (i think it was gearlive.com but i'm not 100% sure) that this time they're not letting you out the door with the iPhone until you sign a 2-year contract and get it activated.

7. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

what? we're talking about the ipod touch bud...

8. aethelbert macrumors 601

It really depends on how much video you'd put on there as well. Video will fill up your remaining space pretty quickly. If you can cycle your music well (like you said, a smart playlist is a great idea), it will probably work. Also keep in mind that some of the apps in 2.0 might take up a good deal of space as well. 8GB will probably be fine for you, but a larger capacity might make life easier. I get by just fine with 8GB on my iPhone, but the ability to just plug in and sync my 80GB classic is great. If you're good at organizing and selecting only what you listen to, I say go for the 8GB. It's a great product.

Also, just a suggestion here. I'd watch the macrumors marketplace for a while to see if any deals come up. Someone just got a NIB 16GB iPod touch for $250, so deals do come and go. But as a note, the rules will change in a few weeks and you'll no longer be allowed to post in the new one.

9. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. So basically, if I really want to liberally add video and apps, i should get the 16?

10. aethelbert macrumors 601

For video, definitely. For apps, though, nobody can be for certain as the sizes of the forthcoming apps has not been announced yet. Some will be pretty small (like ebay, MLB, etc), but some of the more complex apps like game will probably be quite a bit larger.

11. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

Well, let me see just how much music i can consolidate...

12. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

ok so I hand-picked the songs out of my library that I want, no movies, podcasts (dont need em) or TV shows, and got a whopping 4.43 gigs. So, that would mean i would have about 3gigs to add movies/tv shows, correct?

yeah i think im gonna buy the 8 now.

13. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

14. mekopolis macrumors regular

here is my opinion

i almost went with an 8 gig, but splurged and got the 16

no matter what you have, you can always fill it

for my library
    i've got about 60 gig of music, 100 gig of video,
    but for the touch, with 16 gig capacity, which formatted is 14.7 something

i can imagine an 8 gig is only 6.9 or something formatted...

my music takes up 6, i switch it out, my video takes up 8, constantly switching it out, and when the app store comes around, i probably will reduce it to about 5gig each

16 gig is rough, i can't imagine 8 gig, but remember the actual capacity of the formated drive is different from the advertised drive

plus, dont you want games

the other option would be for you to buy an 8 gig, save a 100 bucks, use it, and sell it in september for whatever, and upgrade to a 32 when the 64 comes out, if it comes out...who knows what the 2nd generation touch will be

15. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

But I only have 4.3 gigs of good music, the other stuff is random crap and other songs from albums with one or two good songs.

If i switch out the movies/tv shows, like have maybe one movie and a few TV shows on at a time, I could probably make it work

16. mekopolis macrumors regular

i see what your saying

4.3 gigs music
    2.0 movies (2 movies +1 to 3 tv shows)
    0.6 for applications/pictures
    ----
    6.9 gig available
    and the other 1.1 gigs is for formating the flash cards, the OS.X touch operating system, and the data

if you sync every couple of days it should be all good

17. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

W00T!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I just bought a 16gb touch for only $200!!!!!

score!

18. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone for your insight much appreciated

19. aethelbert macrumors 601

Might I ask where you found it?

20. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

ebay. it is refurbished, but who cares! half price!

21. Kohkane macrumors 6502a

Hows the refurb working? =p I've been thinking of getting one. But im worried that it'll crap out on me :eek:

22. lamborghinipro thread starter macrumors newbie

ehhh, the purchase fell through. the seller apparently refunded the money, which i was happy with, but still i got no ipod.

so i think i will settle with a used 8gb for $200 instead.