Should iDVD take 2.5 hours to burn a DVD?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by stimpycat, Sep 14, 2007.

1. stimpycat macrumors regular

As a recent switcher, one of the things I have been most eager to see is the speed improvement in burning DVDs - given that Macs are all about photos and making dvds (according to the I'm a Mac ads).

Today I tried my first one - 120 mins of video, 6.5 hours to go (edit: came down to 2.5 after 20 mins)

My old Dell took just over an hour for the same video - surely, surely I am doing something wrong and this can't be normal?

Mac Poo 2.66 2GB RAM 300GB free HD. :confused:

2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

My MacBook can burn an iMovie movie to DVD in less than an hour. You are doing something wrong. And change the title of your thread, its meaningless.

3. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

It's not meaningless at all - I dropped £2,000 on a computer that takes 6hrs to burn a dvd.

4. jackc macrumors 65816

jackc

He's saying it is helpful if you describe your problem in the title, then someone that has experience with that issue might be able to help you or comment.

5. Redline13 macrumors 6502

I can understand your upset. I would be also. If you provide more information I bet someone can offer a suggestion. Something is not right.

6. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What program are you using?
    What are the settings?

More details and we'll be able to help.

I have a Mac Pro myself, and quite frankly those nubers you've given are mad. Something is wrong…

7. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

What program did you edit the original footage in? What program are you using to burn to DVD?

8. worriedmac macrumors regular

worriedmac

Its probably a format conversion issue. what kind of file is the video before you burn.

9. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

What kind of information? Just a 2hr movie bring burnt to DVD-RW - I have a standard superdrive - can't think of anything else I have done.

Opened iDVD, dragged an 700MB avi into a theme - pressed burn - put the DVD in the drive and that's where I am at now. No other progs running apart from firefox.

Edit: The 6.5 hours has quickly gone down to 2.5 so that's better - however that's still a whole hour and a 1/4 more than my old smelly Dell which is frankly rather disappointing.

10. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

TheAnswer

Ah hah. I suspected as much. I think that's what slowing you down. Do a forum search on "iDVD avi" or google it for tips to speed it up next time. It usually involves converting the .avi wrapper into something more modern and iDVD friendly.

11. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

What does Project Info say?

12. stimpycat thread starter macrumors regular

cheers will give it a go!