Should install leopard?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Eric Lewis, Mar 24, 2008.

1. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

Its a 1.33ghz Powerbook G4 with 512mb ram and 60disk

is it worth it to run leopard? or would it be too slow?

2. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

I wouldn't if it were you're main machine. You'd definitely want to top up the RAM some.

3. trainguy77 macrumors 68040

I have it running on a 1ghz emac and it seems fine.

4. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

Even without upgrading your OS you need to upgrade your ram. If you upgrade it even to 1 gb (I recommend 2) you'd see a noticeable improvement in performance.

5. pinktank macrumors 6502

6. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

In any case, either an OS or RAM upgrade would be completely dependent on what you plan to use the machine for. If you're just opening up Safari or iTunes it likely won't make a difference.

If you're looking to have a good multitasker, you'll need ram. Likewise, if you want some Screen Sharable, Quick Look capable, Time Machining goodness you'll need teh New Cat.

If you need it, buy it. If you want it and have cash to spare, well if you have enough cash for extensive upgrades like these the advisable thing to do would be to trade 'er in and get a shiny new MacBook or something. Regardless, if you want it on THIS computer just do it. You'll have more luck justifying than we will.

7. Sithikorn macrumors newbie

More RAM

More RAM is a better way to run Leopard faster. I think from 512MB to 1GB should be fine.

8. NAG macrumors 68030

NAG

No even if he is only using safari and itunes he should get more ram. OS X is a ram hog and he'll see massive improvement even running only one app if he upgrades to at least 1 gb.

9. Fleetwood Mac macrumors 65816

Fleetwood Mac

Well obviously..... but a 1.33ghz proc 512mb ram combo is definitely tolerable for light use under either OS.

Its not like memory for the PBs is pricey or anything though. It is worth the cost.