Should iPad 3 come with a guitar input?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by moonman239, Jan 17, 2012.

?

Should it?

1. Yes.

2 vote(s)
    2.6%
  2. No.

76 vote(s)
    97.4%
  1. moonman239 macrumors 68000

I was thinking Apple could potentially appeal to the music lovers by offering an iPad that comes with a guitar input. The iPad would probably look a bit weird because the screen would have to be shortened a bit to make room for the input. And the guitar cables are bigger, so they'd have to either add thickness or let the jack be deeper than the rest of the iPad.

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Absolutely not. There are far more people who would never use this and find it's inclusion annoying than there are that would find it useful.

3. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

No. I would love it but as robbie said, we're in the minority.

4. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

It's already covered by the irig and similar products. I wouldn't like to see a separate input personally.

5. Jimbo47 macrumors 6502a

6. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

So all of us will have to put up with changing the iPad's form factor to include a guitar input for a few?

:p

7. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

Originally Posted by moonman239
    I was thinking Apple could potentially appeal to the music lovers by offering an iPad that comes with a guitar input. The iPad would probably look a bit weird because the screen would have to be shortened a bit to make room for the input. And the guitar cables are bigger, so they'd have to either add thickness or let the jack be deeper than the rest of the iPad."

What's wrong with using an irig? Then people can choose to use the iPad for music if they wish to....I do, but I wouldn't want to force it on those who don't.

8. MTI, Jan 17, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2012

MTI macrumors 65816

Tell Fender and Gibson to put USB and Thunderbolt on a Strat or LP Custom. ;)

9. jeremyshaw macrumors 6502

I am hoping for hdmi output and USB host on the next iPad. Make it more of a computer, almost an entry mac laptop (heck, the four finger gestures is almost like spaces...:p).

10. PinkyMacGodess macrumors 601

PinkyMacGodess

And just from a 'what's that huge hole in my iPad' issue, a normal guitar socket is pretty HUGE. It'd be like putting an old style headphone jack on a portable device. It would just collect dust/fuzz/crumbs/whatever... Well, and would kill off, or piss off, the market for add on accessories... Plus you would have to deal with whatever hardware they included in the iPad to handle the input.

Not having a port sucks, but so does a half-behind supported one that you are stuck with, or stuck working around...

11. MTI macrumors 65816

[​IMG]

2012 CES Show - The Gibson-style guitar body has a slot in the soundboard for an iPad to be inserted. Using a companion application, Guitar Apprentice players can run their fingers across virtual guitar strings while holding buttons on each fret along the neck to play musical notes. The buttons light up to teach newbies proper finger placement for playing each chord.

Virtual shredding will commence when the $99 Guitar Apprentice hits the market in June or July, an Ion spokesman said. Prospective Doors cover bands can already practice with Piano Apprentice, a $100, 25-note keyboard with a place for hooking up an iPad.

:D

12. Heebeejeebies macrumors regular

Heebeejeebies

13. anthonymoody macrumors 68020

If you're talking a standard 1/4" plug NFW. And I'm a guitar player...

14. James L macrumors 6502a

I have my guitar plugged into my iPad everyday..... There is no need for a dedicated plug.

15. HengenJL macrumors 6502a

HengenJL

Absolutely not, as others have said and I agree with them the iPad should not be changing for the few that would use this feature!

16. Macman45 macrumors G5

Macman45

:D USB on my vintage 1990 Strat? (see my profile pictures) that...is vandalism in the first degree...(shuddering in horror)

17. macrat macrumors regular