Votes: 2 2.6%
  • No.

Votes: 76 97.4%

• Total voters

moonman239

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 27, 2009
I was thinking Apple could potentially appeal to the music lovers by offering an iPad that comes with a guitar input. The iPad would probably look a bit weird because the screen would have to be shortened a bit to make room for the input. And the guitar cables are bigger, so they'd have to either add thickness or let the jack be deeper than the rest of the iPad.

robbieduncan

Moderator emeritus
Jul 24, 2002
Harrogate
Absolutely not. There are far more people who would never use this and find it's inclusion annoying than there are that would find it useful.

Stealthipad

macrumors 68040
Apr 30, 2010
I was thinking Apple could potentially appeal to the music lovers by offering an iPad that comes with a guitar input. The iPad would probably look a bit weird because the screen would have to be shortened a bit to make room for the input. And the guitar cables are bigger, so they'd have to either add thickness or let the jack be deeper than the rest of the iPad.
So all of us will have to put up with changing the iPad's form factor to include a guitar input for a few?

:p

Macman45

macrumors G5
Jul 29, 2011
Somewhere Back In The Long Ago
Originally Posted by moonman239
I was thinking Apple could potentially appeal to the music lovers by offering an iPad that comes with a guitar input. The iPad would probably look a bit weird because the screen would have to be shortened a bit to make room for the input. And the guitar cables are bigger, so they'd have to either add thickness or let the jack be deeper than the rest of the iPad."

What's wrong with using an irig? Then people can choose to use the iPad for music if they wish to....I do, but I wouldn't want to force it on those who don't.

jeremyshaw

macrumors 6502
Oct 29, 2011
I am hoping for hdmi output and USB host on the next iPad. Make it more of a computer, almost an entry mac laptop (heck, the four finger gestures is almost like spaces...:p).

PinkyMacGodess

macrumors 601
Mar 7, 2007
Midwest America.
And just from a 'what's that huge hole in my iPad' issue, a normal guitar socket is pretty HUGE. It'd be like putting an old style headphone jack on a portable device. It would just collect dust/fuzz/crumbs/whatever... Well, and would kill off, or piss off, the market for add on accessories... Plus you would have to deal with whatever hardware they included in the iPad to handle the input.

Not having a port sucks, but so does a half-behind supported one that you are stuck with, or stuck working around...

MTI

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

2012 CES Show - The Gibson-style guitar body has a slot in the soundboard for an iPad to be inserted. Using a companion application, Guitar Apprentice players can run their fingers across virtual guitar strings while holding buttons on each fret along the neck to play musical notes. The buttons light up to teach newbies proper finger placement for playing each chord.

Virtual shredding will commence when the $99 Guitar Apprentice hits the market in June or July, an Ion spokesman said. Prospective Doors cover bands can already practice with Piano Apprentice, a $100, 25-note keyboard with a place for hooking up an iPad.

:D

James L

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2004
I have my guitar plugged into my iPad everyday..... There is no need for a dedicated plug.

HengenJL

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2007
Rochester, NY
Absolutely not, as others have said and I agree with them the iPad should not be changing for the few that would use this feature!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.