Should it be replaced?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Kingapple1, May 30, 2013.

1. Kingapple1 macrumors newbie

So i bought a MacBook pro 13''. ive had many problems:

1) speaker/the voice to speach thing wasnt working efficiently( the thing that happens when you double tap fn).

2) Macbook randomly turned of and didnt come back on at all(didnt charge, on button did nothing and the battery indicator didnt work), unit dead. Apple took it to the back and somehow fixed it.

3) that day when i got back, it turned out something happened to the mic as it was completely muffled to the point that you could hardly make out what someone was saying. So i took it into apple and they said, sure we'll repair it for you. I got a call 2 days later to come pick it up. great i thought at the store the lady said test it out and in the settings it showed it detected the sound efficiently, i didnt check the playback though as it was too loud in the store. however when i got it and brought it home mic was still muffled (but better than before). However i had no the same day an appointment for another mac and the way i was treated was 'poor' to say the least from body language to the fact the guy just assumed we were there for a iPhone/iPad appointment due to the fact my dad had a strong accent, and its not that im being touchy but it was clear that this was the case.

4 ) i then had a issue with my iPhone 4 where it randomly vibrated for 10 mins and didnt come on at all. When i called the store the guy was very improffesional. From the fact you could hear him texting a way and then docking his iPhone in the background. He then said he was unable to accsess the apointment times( i wanted to confirm my appointment for the next day) however he could tell me the next available:/ bizzare.

These are some of the issues ive had in a space of 1 week. Im planning on talking to the manager. But spending £1000 on a computer you would expect it to do the standard things.

Does anyone thing that they would replace it due to the fact the poor service, the fact that when it wouldn't come on he did something and the mic stopped working, and then after repair it still didnt work ?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

1) Define efficiently. It's never instant. At all. It takes time process the input. The more input, the longer it will take.

2) Could the battery be dead?

3) What does iPhone/iPad appointment have to do with accent? This makes no sense. Open System Preferences, click Sound, click Input tab. Make sure the input volume slider is the right most it can be. Also check use ambient noise reduction. Also make sure output volume slider is the right most it can be and that "mute" is unchecked.

4) Can't really help with iPhone 4. What were you doing before this happened? It vibrates when new email is received. It vibrates for incoming calls. It vibrates for notifications. Etc.

3. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Wouldn't hurt to call Apple and ask these questions.

4. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

5. B... macrumors 68000

B...

If only you could...

6. Kingapple1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply there was a 3ish min delay where its icon came up, and then it 'froze', then after cancelling it the computer will 'pause' then after the 3rd attempt it would then start to work properly. The first time i went in the genus ran a diagnostic that said battery was fine. However the shut down does happen randomly which is annoying but it was only once where it didnt come on at all :/ Oh yeah i did its all on high and ambient noise is canceled. After the repair it now picks up sound but the play back is muffled. Like on garage band or photobooth. Nothing i was watching top gear and it just randomly vibrated and 'died'. It was on Silent mode. Nope it was just non stop vibrate for 10 mins flat.

----------

I know it was just the first thing that came into my head since i needed to get an account fast.

7. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

I don't think having your Mac repaired 3 times for the same issue automatically warrants a refund, but I do think you have a good case for getting the entire unit replaced. If you can, fully document the issue, know the dates of the repairs, bring all the receipts etc., and ask for the Apple Store manager. Try to be nice and explain the situation fully. And be sure that, when you're troubleshooting the issue with the manager, that you're allowed to go to a quiet space so you can really test the mic fully - maybe in the back where the Genius employees work.

As for the iPhone, vibrating constantly for 10 minutes is definitely not normal. If you haven't abused it prior (dropping it, submerging it in water, etc.) then you have a strong case for replacement as well as long it's within 1 year of purchase.

8. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Was it trying to install a firmware update, the process that you might have interrupted? I've seen similar behavior when a friend did that. You say vibrated? Like HD vibrations or phone vibration magnitude?

9. Kingapple1 thread starter macrumors newbie

Nope i havnt updated it as i heard it would make it slower so i was hesitant. (whats HD vibrations, hard drive vibrations?) it was like just a 10 mins long continuos vibration, if that made sense.

----------

Thank you for your response, i know you have to have 3 major repairs. I've had a couple of small ones but the way its been handled and I'm going in for a repeat fault could make me 'eligible' to get it replaced ? Thanks I'm going o do that as soon as the store opens. How are apple on the whole replacement issue, do they generally do it with a valid reason ?

Nope, the iPhone 4 has been looked after well apart from the normal scratches on the back.

10. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

Actually, it should improve things. I mean how "violent" were the vibrations? Like was it as "violent" as a smartphone vibration or some very "tiny" vibrations that are most likely the HD?