should it be this slow??

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by MNTOPTEAM, May 1, 2011.

1. MNTOPTEAM macrumors newbie

Is it normal for it to take 45 minutes to export a 9-minute video via quicktime? I'm working off a desktop OSX and am a total novice at movie making.

2. simsaladimbamba

Depends on the hardware and video editing software and resolution of the footage and the codec the source footage uses and the codec you used for exporting the video you used.
    Can you tell use those specifics?

3. Gator24765 macrumors 6502a

Gator24765

I have a C2C Macbook Pro and Use final cut pro. For a 7-10 minute video with HD footage that sounds about right.

4. gameface macrumors 6502

If you are "export to quicktime" than no that sounds extremely long. If you are doing a "quicktime conversion" export it all depends on what codec you are going to. If you are going to h264 it sound spot on.

To speed up my h264 exports I use an Elgato Turbo.264 HD hardware encoder to speed things up.

5. MagnusVonMagnum macrumors 601

MagnusVonMagnum

It's perfectly normal. ;)

Even Final Cut Pro will only use ONE core of your CPU (I hope to goodness their new update finally addresses that blunder of all blunders of all time). Handbrake is like 3x faster than Final Cut Pro even with ONE core, let alone many. But don't blame Apple. They've been far too busy updating iOS to bother with making OSX apps faster, update graphics drivers or the OpenGL libraries or generally do anything that makes OSX better than Windows these days. Phones are far more important than Macs. :rolleyes: