Should iTunes be on when jailbreaking?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by injendsm, Jul 29, 2009.

1. injendsm macrumors member

So I've been curious about jailbreaking my iPhone since before I got it and finally decided to do it today, a week and a half after getting it. After some research, I determined that PurpleRa1n would be the best program to do it with. I downloaded the program and started to run it. While it started up, a message popped up in iTunes informing me that the iPhone connected to iTunes needed to be restored.

I used this how to guide to attempt it:

http://www.iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=4417

There was nothing on there that stated anything about the message I saw on iTunes. I figured maybe I wasn't supposed to have iTunes running while doing this so I closed it. Bad idea, apparently. A picture popped up on the iPhone showing a usb cord underneath an iTunes icon. I tried reconnecting the iPhone and neither iTunes or Windows recognized the device. Awesome. Holding the power button did nothing so I held that and the home button to reset it.

iTunes has just finished restoring the iPhone back to the way it was before this mess. So, after that long paragraph, I'm wondering something. Should I have iTunes open while attempting to jailbreak the phone? I'm not sure that I'll attempt this again but I guess I might as well. Any help is appreciated.

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    It's doesn't matter really. You will hear iTunes in the background lose connection/detect the device in recovery mode. Just ignore it until the jailbreak process is done.

3. injendsm thread starter macrumors member

So it was normal for me to see that message on iTunes? If so, I'll retry it.

4. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
    Yeah, iTunes says that when the phone is detected in DFU or Recovery mode. Don't worry, just press onward and your device will be pwned in no-time. :p

5. injendsm thread starter macrumors member

Sweet. Thanks for the help.