Should Lion Update Have Caused This...

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by btrav13, Apr 20, 2012.

1. btrav13 macrumors 6502

Upgraded to Lion and my Parallels install with Windows 7 is gone. I try to launch Parallels (the icon is still there) and it gives me a "unable to load the Parallels driver" error message. I finally noticed tonight that I no longer have the partition that created to house Windows.

Should updating to Lion have done this? I only ask because I'm honestly not smart enough to reload all this myself (I paid to have it done the first time) and I'd hate to have to re-pay to do it again, though that looks like my only option.

2. Bear macrumors G3

At a minimum Parallels will have to be re-installed. Depending on what version you have, you may or may not need to buy an upgrade to a newer version.

3. dyn macrumors 68030

Bare in mind that upgrading to Lion in most cases means that the kernel will be 64 bit instead of 32 bit with Snow Leopard (some people already used the 64 bit kernel in Snow Leopard, they won't see a difference). You also need a certain Parallels version because that one supports Lion. Check if you have the correct one with Parallels. If you still have problems than reinstalling Parallels should work.

4. conath macrumors newbie

Had the same problem - fixed!

If you have Parallels Desktop v5,
    I had exactly the same problem but fixing it was easy:
    The reason the Parallels driver is not loaded is the Lion Update.
    Unfortunately Parallels Inc. does not want Users of version 5 to be able to use it on newer OS X versions than 1.6.x :mad: . They want you to buy the new version.
    I found a script that loads that Parallels Driver for you and launches Parallels afterwards. Just download this one: http://www.mediafire.com/?fn7vbryma1nmvmb ! Hope it helped!

5. Bear macrumors G3

There might be real compatibility reasons for needing an upgrade that you might not have run in to, but others will.