Should MBA be shutdown while carrying it with me?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by rapturedlight, Mar 28, 2016.

1. rapturedlight macrumors newbie

Hi, I have a MBA 11-inch and I use it all the time. I carry it with me from home to work almost everyday. Should it be left to sleep mode or should it be shutdown when I move from one location to another? Thank you

2. Gav2k macrumors G3

Gav2k

No need. It was only platter drive machines that required either shutting down or waiting for them to sleep fully before moving.

3. rapturedlight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for this. I rarely shutdown my mac and it bothered me when most of my friends suggested to shut it down when I am traveling. Thanks!

4. fenderbass146 macrumors 65816

fenderbass146

Yea, no point now days. No moving parts. Really no different then an iPad other then the fans.

5. rapturedlight thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you!

6. Wackery macrumors 6502a

the hard drive is a spinning disk, when it gets jolted it can cause a scratch and damage the drive

7. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Not in a MacBook Air, they have SSDs.

8. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

May be a stupid question, but if MacBook airs have ssd drives why do they have a fan? My MacBook is a 2014 model, and as you say I have never heard the hard drive, but I once did hear the fan running.

9. chrfr macrumors 603

It's the CPU and GPU in computers that gets the hottest. The MacBook (not Air) doesn't have a fan, but as a result the CPU is quite a bit less powerful than in a MacBook Air.

10. Furzul macrumors 6502

Furzul

Thanks for the reply.

11. Pugly macrumors regular

This is my favorite feature of these modern ssd based laptops... Having an instant on, always available, fully capable computer ready to go is great.

12. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Well, not necessarily, though all 11" Airs do, which is of course what we're talking about here. But pre-2010 models were available with platter drives.