Should MBP be quiet?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by mark28, Aug 16, 2010.

1. mark28 macrumors 68000

This hard drive is making some serious noise. Squeecky sound and some clicks. It's the one that came standard with the 15 inch MBP ( hitashi )

Do I have a defective hard disk?

( I thought these MBP should be very quiet? )

2. cawesjmu macrumors 6502

Squeaking and clicking are not normal. Is the MBP brand new? If you just bought it, take it back in a let the Genius Bar listen to it and have it replaced. If it's an older MBP, it'd be wise to back everything up onto an external drive so you don't lose any data.

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

Clicks are never good unless you're hearing the head parking but they shouldn't be loud either. I suggest you start backing up, those clicks are usually the sound of an inevitable death of a hard drive.

Once you back it up, take it to the Apple store and have it replaced.

4. davidlv macrumors 65816

Yes, probably is defective. Have Apple replace it (after you back up your data).
    By the way, it is "Hitachi" (brand name), not "hitashi." Apple uses Hitachi, Toshiba, Fujitsu, and some Seagate HD drives too. My MBP came with a 250GB Toshiba which was slow but virtually silent. My friend's 2010 MBP came with a Seagate 320 GB drive that is silent too. So you really should have that drive looked at.