Should Messages Audio sound like a phone call?

Discussion in 'iOS 8' started by chrf097, Sep 28, 2014.

1. chrf097 macrumors 68040

chrf097

I never used iMessage Audio during the beta phase because I didn't find it as practical on an iPad, but now having my iPhone again this PTT-like system seems to be both an efficient and fun way to communicate with people.

However, I noticed during the keynote the audio sounded very high quality, like the person was speaking into a live mic almost. However, using it on my iPhone 6, it sounds like I'm on a standard phone call, that is to say VERY low quality.

Is this how audio on iMessage is supposed to sound? It's still very usable but I was hoping it would be like the stage demo, not like a phone call.

2. afsnyder macrumors 65816

In reality, you can't have such high quality messages sending otherwise it would take large amounts of data... Weird they compress audio but then don't compress photos or videos.

3. sunfire7 macrumors member

Yeah the quality is poor, I prefer to use whatsapp similar function because of that, but whatsapp its not integrated at system level :( (interactive notifications, quick reply, Siri, etc)

4. chrf097 thread starter macrumors 68040

chrf097

Sending photos and videos can already take large amounts of data, as you noticed they're uncompressed.

I wish there was an option to have higher quality audio recordings, and if both parties have it enabled then it send it HQ.

5. Imory macrumors 6502a

Are you sure the photos and videos aren't compressed?

6. dhlizard macrumors G4

dhlizard

When you select a video to send via iMessage, it shows it being compressed on screen prior to being attached to the message.