Should Messages Audio sound like a phone call?

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
I never used iMessage Audio during the beta phase because I didn't find it as practical on an iPad, but now having my iPhone again this PTT-like system seems to be both an efficient and fun way to communicate with people.

However, I noticed during the keynote the audio sounded very high quality, like the person was speaking into a live mic almost. However, using it on my iPhone 6, it sounds like I'm on a standard phone call, that is to say VERY low quality.

Is this how audio on iMessage is supposed to sound? It's still very usable but I was hoping it would be like the stage demo, not like a phone call.

afsnyder

macrumors 65816
Jan 7, 2014
I never used iMessage Audio during the beta phase because I didn't find it as practical on an iPad, but now having my iPhone again this PTT-like system seems to be both an efficient and fun way to communicate with people.

However, I noticed during the keynote the audio sounded very high quality, like the person was speaking into a live mic almost. However, using it on my iPhone 6, it sounds like I'm on a standard phone call, that is to say VERY low quality.

Is this how audio on iMessage is supposed to sound? It's still very usable but I was hoping it would be like the stage demo, not like a phone call.
In reality, you can't have such high quality messages sending otherwise it would take large amounts of data... Weird they compress audio but then don't compress photos or videos.

sunfire7

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2012
Yeah the quality is poor, I prefer to use whatsapp similar function because of that, but whatsapp its not integrated at system level :( (interactive notifications, quick reply, Siri, etc)

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Dec 16, 2011
In reality, you can't have such high quality messages sending otherwise it would take large amounts of data... Weird they compress audio but then don't compress photos or videos.
Sending photos and videos can already take large amounts of data, as you noticed they're uncompressed.

I wish there was an option to have higher quality audio recordings, and if both parties have it enabled then it send it HQ.

Imory

macrumors 6502a
Feb 2, 2013
Wonderland
Sending photos and videos can already take large amounts of data, as you noticed they're uncompressed.

I wish there was an option to have higher quality audio recordings, and if both parties have it enabled then it send it HQ.
Are you sure the photos and videos aren't compressed?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.