Should my applications be crashing so much?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by aldog, Feb 11, 2008.

1. aldog macrumors regular

I'm new to mac as far as having one for my own goes, and it seems that what I've been experiencing isn't what I thought it'd be.
    I'm on a macbook pro, running Leopard 10.5.1, 2 gb RAM.
    I seem to get programs crashing more than it seems they should. It started with firefox a while ago, but I got that stopped for the most part now. But for instance, photoshop still crashes regularly. As far as programs I have running, Azureus is usually going, firefox, and then in my menubar, aurora alarm, gmail notifier, bluephone elite, and youcontrol tunes. Sometimes adium as well.
    It doesn't really sound like too much to me, but yet I have to be very careful with photoshop, saving quite often. And I've even had leopard crash 3 or 4 times. One time this week when I was shutting down I unplugged my wacom (i think) and even though it was almost shut down i still got the crashed screen. And then again today, can't remember what I was doing but it wasn't all that much.
    I hope this is user-error, because I was kind of hoping to get away from things like this.

2. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

You should take a look here
    for applications that are not working very well with Leopard.
    You say you use Azureus which is not recommendable because it has kernel panic issues with Leopard. Try change to Transmission for a while and see if it makes the crashes go away or diminish.

3. thesdx macrumors 6502a

IMHO, Transmission is much better than Azures. Cleaner, faster, and more Mac-like.

4. aldog thread starter macrumors regular

I started out with transmission but I don't like the layout, I reallly don't like azureus but it's so much easier to keep track of 50+ torrents.
    I guess I'm just one of those sad utorrent users that wants a mac version already.

Thanks for the link to the wiki Jiddick.
    I went through the list and here's how I faired
    Major Issue Programs I have installed: None
    Minor Issue Programs I have Installed: Xee (but the only issue is full screen not working).
    And then I have a couple programs in the "Previous Versions Have had Issues" column.
    ps cs3, final cut, quicksilver.

So do you think most my problems revolve around azureus? I know that it's always had issues, on windows it really bogged down my computer, but that was years ago so I figured they had fixed things.

I guess if I have to I'll switch to transmission (for the good of my computer), but transmission is also in the "minor issues" area of the wiki.

5. Jiddick ExRex macrumors 65816

Jiddick ExRex

Well as I said you can only try and see if stopping using azureus and see if it gets better.