Should my apps work with Lion?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by kyle1320, Jul 20, 2011.

1. kyle1320 macrumors regular

kyle1320

I've never gone through an upgrade on a Mac before, and I'm not quite sure what to expect. Should my apps mostly work with Lion? I want to upgrade right away, but not if my apps are going to break. Help on knowing what to expect would be great. :)

2. simsaladimbamba

Depending on the applications, they should work, but maybe look at the developers' websites to confirm, as their might be problems due to an OS update for some of them.

3. paduck macrumors 6502

Most of them are going to work if you have the most up-to-date version, but it really depends on the specific software you have - in that respect, we can't really answer your question. Quicken, for instance, isn't going to work because it requires Rosetta (for PPC code) which isn't part of Lion. Do you have the most recent version of MS Office? You will be ok there, but perhaps not with an earlier one. You might be able to run 10.6 inside a virtual machine on Lion, so that would be an avenue to take in case you have problems with a specific application. That's what I am hoping for with Quicken.

As mentioned before, check the web pages of the various software vendors to see what they say about Lion.

4. ajvizzgamer101 macrumors 65816

Even if apps have Lion Support, I am having problem opening files with them.