Should my insurance cover this

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by R.Youden, May 18, 2006.

  1. R.Youden macrumors 68020


    Apr 1, 2005
    Last night my PowerBook got knocked off my coffee table and I have damaged the power connector so the laptop wont charge now! I have home contents insurance to cover accidental damage so hopefully they will cover but I am sure they will try and get out of it. This is my first time making an insurance claim like this, any advice? Thanks.
  2. clayj macrumors 604


    Jan 14, 2005
    visiting from downstream
    It might be covered, but you have to ask yourself: Is the cost to repair the Powerbook going to be lower than your deductible? Or is it barely going to exceed the deductible?

    Don't make a claim unless the cost is really going to be worth the possibility of your premiums going up.
  3. mkrishnan Moderator emeritus


    Jan 9, 2004
    Grand Rapids, MI, USA
    It might, but I think sometimes home insurance policies do not cover laptop computers because of the potential that they could be damaged outside the home. Which to me is eh, but at least, that is what I was told by my (State Farm) agent.
  4. jeshepard macrumors member

    Jan 23, 2006
    The last time I had my powerbook fixed (last year) it was a flat fee of $350. That included a new logic board and repairing a hinge. So I'm guessing that this would be cheaper than your deductible.
  5. R.Youden thread starter macrumors 68020


    Apr 1, 2005
    My excess fee is £50. From what I can see I will need at least a new lower case, power board and logic board as the ethernet port has be put out of alignment.

    On my insurance policy I am not covered if the laptop is out of my house but if it is inside then it may well be.
  6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

    Chip NoVaMac

    Dec 25, 2003
    Northern Virginia
    YMMV, here in the US - this sort of claim, regardless of the deductible, could hurt us in more major claims in the next 2 to 5 years.
  7. trent88 macrumors newbie

    May 24, 2006

    You better call your insurance agent or check your policy. I had my homeowner insurance at insurance broker, and I added all my equipment, mac, pc etc to my policy. The thing is after I compared quotes with other insurace I got the cheapest. Hope this helps
  8. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    May 19, 2002
    Yes, in the US they track people and homes, and do not insure bad risks -- much like cars.

    Too many claims (sometimes even 1) for any amount can turn a home into a major risk -- and if it involved water, they won't even like you anymore.

    Basically homeowners should keep insurance to major loss, or risk going naked after filing a minor claim.

Share This Page