Should my memory and CPU usage rates be this high?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by R94N, Aug 21, 2010.

1. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

At the moment I'm only running iTunes, HelTweetica and Safari, but my memory/CPU graphs are really high and jumpy. Is it supposed to do this or am I just being too paranoid?

Attached Files:

2. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

Open Activity Monitor and see what processes are eating the CPU and RAM (remember to select "show all processes"). To be honest, those look completely normal. WHen you open something, the CPU usage is high but only for very short time, that's why it looks so jumpy. You seem to have only 2GB of RAM or so too

3. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N

Yeah, I just have a standard MacBook. I have been thinking about upgrading the RAM, but really I don't think I need it. I only ever run two or three programs at the same time anyway.

4. J&JPolangin macrumors 68030

4Gb RAM wouldn't hurt to have but I'd wait until you find a sale price your willing to pay with the December holidays not to far away...

5. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Yeah dude, your stats look completely normal. The only reason the CPU jumps like that is because of how OS X is built. The processor is only used when you actually DO something with it. It doesn't just run when it's not needed. Really, I don't think you need 4GB of RAM per say, but it really doesn't hurt. In fact, it made a big difference with my MB. So yeah haha, your stuff is completely normal :)

6. R94N thread starter macrumors 68020

R94N