Should OneDrive be this slow?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Traverse, Jun 10, 2014.

1. Traverse macrumors 604

Traverse

I have average Internet, 10.6 megabits down up and 1.15 Megabits up.

I need to upload 12 GB of data to OneDrive. It has been running for eight hours, and it has only uploaded 3.5 GB of data. And I can tell a noticeable slowdown for any other device that connects to the Internet while it is running.

Should it be this slow?

2. simsaladimbamba

1.15 Mbps upload speed translates to roughly 150 KB/s upload speed, which means 9 MB get uploaded per minute, 540 MB uploaded per hour and 6.480 MB or roughly 6.5 GB per day, thus those 12 GB will take two days continuos uploading.

1 Megabit per second is roughly 0.125 MegaByte per second, since 1 bit is 1/8 of a Byte.

As for the rest of your browsing experience, that is expected, since websites need to check what is already downloaded via uploading information, thus a full upload channel will put a damper on the browsing.

3. Traverse thread starter macrumors 604

Traverse

Thank you. I did not know the Mbps to KB/s conversion. I appreciate your help.

4. simsaladimbamba

Yes, most ISP advertise their speeds in Megabit, since it is the bigger number, but since all file sizes are measured in Byte, it is misleading, thus a 16 Mbit download speed translates to 2 MB/s, which is quite fast anyway, since one can download almost 173 GB per day. Since most internet connections are asynchronous, meaning the upload speed is a lot slower than the download speed, a 16 Mbit download speed often only translates to 2 Mbit upload speeds, which would be "only" 21.6 GB per day, but you have a much slower upload speed anyway.

Look at the Post your internet connection speed thread in the Picture Gallery sub-forum, to be in awe at some of those speeds and be glad, some of those speeds are not yours, to fill the time.

5. flynz4 macrumors 68040

A couple of corrections:

1) The recognized convention is to measure bit serial communication in Kb/s, Mb/s or Gb/s because the communication media is fundamentally bit serial. By contrast, most parallel interfaces are measured in KB/s, MB/s etc... but most of those interfaces have been obsoleted by newer bit serial interfaces... due to their inherent advantages at higher performance levels.

2) I believe you meant to say "asymmetric" (not asynchronous... which is a totally different thing).

Those two corrections, notwithstanding... you post is spot on and good advice.

/Jim