Should Photoshop really be acting like this on a Mac Pro??

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by willtheiii, Oct 4, 2007.

1. willtheiii macrumors newbie

Sometimes, completely randomly after any action in Photoshop like pasting an object from Illustrator or even something as simple as creating a new file, I get to sit and see the spinning wheel of fun for as long as a minute or two. This doesn't happen constantly, but enough that someone who uses Photoshop professionally and full-time gets annoyed. I'm on a Mac Pro quad 2.66ghz with 4gb RAM, over 350gb hd space available.... so what gives?? Photoshop is allowed over 2gb or RAM. sometimes it happens with large files, sometimes with small files.

Frustrating part is, I recently upgraded to this machine from a G5 and there are times when I forget that I'm even on a new computer. Shouldn't I be noticing significant differences in speed as well over the G5?

2. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

3. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

4. willtheiii thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes, CS3 Photoshop and Illustrator...although I haven't noticed quite the same issue with Illustrator

5. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

2 words for ya:

A) Scratch
    B) Disk

make sure PS is set to use a disk other than your boot drive for it's scratch disk.....if you don't have a second one get one or be stuck in da slow lane foeva :D

thiswillsupppeeeditupohyeaitwilluhhuh :)

6. Darkroom Guest

Darkroom

"the spinning wheel of fun"!!! LOVE IT!!!

this is not true... i've ONLY ever used my boot volume as the scratch disk for photoshop... and i work with single images that are up to 1GB in size... CS3 on intel macs is WELL fast even if boot volume is the scratch disk.

i would try reinstalling the application, because PSCS3 on your new mac should be much much faster than on your old G5...