Should sleep be used less?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by California King, Dec 28, 2007.

1. California King macrumors 65816

Will it do any damage to my Macbook if I constantly use the sleep mode on a regular bases? I probably put my laptop to sleep at least 8 times a day and I just want to make sure that I'm not doing any harm to it. I don't know much about sleep mode.

Should I just leave my laptop on the whole day instead? I usually just use it for about 30 min. then put it in sleep mode, then come back in about an hour or two and use it.

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

3. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

When your computer is sleeping, virtually every component is powered-down, except the RAM (otherwise, all the data stored on the RAM would be lost).

Don't worry about it - you're fine. :)

4. seasurfer macrumors 6502a

I realized a problem in sleep mode. I was told to use sleep mode for my iMac. Yesterday, after not shutting down for 3-4 days, I decide to shut it down. It hang while shutting down. I actually posted a thread here to ask for opinion, here was my issue.

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=406062

5. California King thread starter macrumors 65816

Thanks everyone. So when it goes into sleep mode, it is essentially shutting down everything just like a shut down would, but it's keeping the RAM on? Would I begin to notice problems with my RAM if I use sleep mode too much?

6. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Yes.

No. :)

7. rhyndu macrumors regular

No problemo. :D

8. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

No problem, as such -- but you should reboot it about once a week as a matter of routine.

9. rhyndu macrumors regular

No you shouldn't. There is no point in rebooting once a week.

I'd say reboot (restart) everytime you install a software update (which should be about once every 3 weeks).

NO FLAMES PLEASE, IJ REILLY

10. IJ Reilly macrumors P6

IJ Reilly

What's with this "no flames" business?

Anyhow, yes -- there most definitely is a point to rebooting once a week, or I would not have suggested it. This is the only way to delete virtual memory swap files, which build up fairly quickly, and sap performance. Most "beach ball" issues are the result of VM swaps files. Once a week, or when the Mac gets sluggish, is my advice.

11. rhyndu macrumors regular

I'm sorry about the no flames... lame warning/joke :eek:

You should reboot "when the Mac gets sluggish" or everytime you get a software update... that is my advice. :D

12. Quillz macrumors 65816

Quillz

Why? There's no point in rebooting unless you absolutely have to. And unless it's a major software update, you usually don't have to. I haven't rebooted my iMac in about three weeks.