Should the 3.5 mm jack get a redesign

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Nalmond92, Apr 23, 2014.

1. Nalmond92 macrumors regular

So USB is getting smaller with 3.1, thunderbolt will be getting smaller with 3.0.

Is it time the 3.5 mm jack also gets a new design?
    What would you want the new design look like? Or with BLE is the jack old tech and can be abandoned?

Views would be interesting to see

2. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

rather than a redesign, that may be the next big change.

I am by no means an audiophile, but is there significant loss in quality not being hardwired in?

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

its functional and I see no reason to redesign something that works well. Why mess with success

4. Nalmond92 thread starter macrumors regular

Ethernet was successful, apple killed that (granted offered an adopter)

I'm just thinking that if the state of things getting smaller then surely a time in the not too distant future that it will either have to be smaller to fit onto future devices or got rid off.

I'm no audiophile either and have never used a pair of BT headphones so I can't real comment on quality.

5. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

6. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

I think he was referring to thunderbolt, but I agree Ethernet is not going away anytime soon.

7. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Understood but killing it was probably not best usage, because while apple did drop it, the industry is not dropping ethernet anytime soon.

8. SomeGuyDude macrumors 6502a

SomeGuyDude

Yes.

New Bluetooth is very good, don't get me wrong, but 3.5mm cables are still the best. Not to mention it prevents the need for any sort of battery-draining powering. Nice as bluetooth headphones are, having to charge them after a few hours is less than convenient.

9. Z8beema macrumors 6502

Z8beema

They killed the optical drive and people don't really miss it all that much. Regardless I'd like to see the 3.5 mm go and just start seeing an overhaul of Bluetooth headphones. Granted the 3.5 mm does what it was intended to do and does it well there is one problem. When a phone ipod or what have you falls directly on top of it, that is now a completely useless port that you will never use again. Bluetooth solves that problem

10. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

Ahh you are solely referring to apple products. The optical drive is still nowhere near dead.

What would be nice is if I could somehow leave my iphone at home and have wireless earbuds that could still stream the content to me while I run/bike.

11. tardman91 macrumors 6502a

tardman91

I'd actually prefer a 1/4" headphone connection since those are superior to 3.5mm. :D

12. goobot macrumors 603

goobot

It wouldn't be killed off this or next year because I highly doubt the iPhone 6 will be thin enough for that.

13. jbachandouris macrumors 68040

jbachandouris

You sure about that? I tried buying my wife a new laptop around Christmas and there were very few with optical drives.

I am not interested in the 3.5 going away. At least not until Bluetooth battery life and sound quality improve significantly.

14. jsnuff1 macrumors 6502a

15. mattopotamus macrumors G5

mattopotamus

most laptops all still have them. Ultrabooks do not, but those are also in the $1000+ range.

16. Jessica Lares macrumors G3

Jessica Lares

The iPhone can get as thin as an iPod Nano 7th generation and still be able to support a 3.5" jack. The overall part will get smaller, maybe omit the ring, and a few other inside changes, but otherwise it would be able to stay the same.

The plastic around the port on the actual EarPods would also probably get thinned out.

17. Cod3rror macrumors 68000

Cod3rror

I think there is no need for a redesign.

How thin are phones going to get? 5mm? That's plenty for a 3.5mm jack. They're going to run into camera module thickness problems before they'll run into 3.5mm jack problems.

18. tmanto02 macrumors 65816

tmanto02

No way no way no way! I listen to to much music. BLE would drain my battery in half my working day! And a 2.5mm jack would call for an overhall of the entire music/consumer headphone industry. Not to mention me having to give up my beloved sony headphones !

19. JamesPDX Suspended

JamesPDX

There are two professional standards for TRS: 1/4" and 1/8" -The thinner you make it, the easier it's destroyed.

20. 96-HUDSON-96 Suspended

96-HUDSON-96

You need to make it smaller but the port is already quite fragile../

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

There were accessories made for 3.5" jack too like the Quickbooks chip card reader, a thermeter, etc. how would these function? I know the new square reader is Bluetooth what about these other devices ?

22. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Sweet. A thread from 2 & 1/2 years ago that will be even more irrelevant in a week. Thanks for bringing it back.