Should the camera be better?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by svndmvn, Dec 3, 2008.

1. svndmvn Guest

I personally find the iPhone's camera quite good, not the best of course, but I often am not satisfied with the pictures I take with my 7MPx Nikon, same goes for videos.
    We all know Sony Ericssons and Nokias have better overall cameras, more megapixels, flash, better lenses and of course better definition, due to autofocus I guess
    I was just wondering, would it be possible for iPhones to have better cameras, better frame rate videos, and all that leaving the thickness of the device what it is and not have to use a bigger lens? If it wasn't possible, would you then prefer an uglier back and a thicker device, all for the sake of a flash/ 1 extra MPx?

2. jlake02 macrumors 68020

jlake02

I think it's a decent camera but for such a hi-tech piece of hardware I'd expect better than 2mp.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

If you want a better camera, get a digital camera. This is a phone. If you need more than 3 megapixels* in your phone, you need a standalone camera.

*I know where the iPhone is right now. 3 is as far as they should upgrade.

4. svndmvn thread starter Guest

I know you were probably not replying to me, I like the camera as it is and I don't think stepping up from 2 to 3 MPx would be a big change and I couldn't care less about it. I actually rather have quite a small lens, I don't want to be afraid of breaking that as well, I don't want it to have a cover or a flash or anything

5. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I wasn't; you're right. We're very much on the same page here. I could see an eventual five megapixel, but beyond that, just get a standalone, right? :cool:

6. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

I would like the camera to be better but I'm not losing any sleep over it.

I had a N95 before the iPhone and it's camera was impressive. It was not so much the mega pixel count, but the auto focus and sharpness of the pictures that I miss. Also the iPhone could do with a flash and the ability to record video.

7. rs13 macrumors member

i moved from using sony ericsson cyber shot phones and i loved the great pics i would get, dont get me wrong i do love my iphone but it irritates me when i have to carry a camera to, i think apple could make a massive difference with more comprehensive camera software but i guess its just a waiting game. I think we will see a update that adds more functionality to the camera possibly in iphone firmware 3.0 i predict we will get video recording around the same time.

8. cellocello macrumors 68000

cellocello

Like, sure - everything can be better.

I'd love to 100 MPG in a car. Or get a 16oz steak instead of an 8oz one. It'd be nice to have 3 FW ports in every laptop ;)

While everything can be better ... for what it is, the iPhone camera isn't the worst thing in the world. I imagine we'll see an upgrade to the camera in the next revision, though.

9. bwortman macrumors member

bwortman

In my opinion the camera on the iPhone is fine. I don't expect a phone camera to be as good as my digital cameras. The iPhones camera is fine for those quick photos when your out and about. What I want is a software change that allows for video capturing.

10. svndmvn thread starter Guest

I think Apple doesn't like movable parts so there would be no protection for the camera like on certain HTC/Nokia cellphones
    I guess it would have to look like this, a lot thicker of course, if the responsible went from working for Nokia to Apple

Attached Files:

11. firewood macrumors 604

It's not the number of megapixels. It's the size of the sensor and lens. I have a big old Olympus 2MP digital camera that I got 8 years ago, and it takes a lot better pictures (sharper, higher contrast, less noise, better in low light, etc.) than my friends thin tiny small 4MP camera.

12. ahmerz macrumors newbie

Mx Tube on 2.2Version

I had previusly 1.13Vers, and using Mxtube, it was really a great software...

Since i've upgraded to 2.2, I'm unable to locate Mxtube in installer.
    Can somebody help me finding the same.

13. alexchannell macrumors newbie

Good luck convincing anyone on this forum of that. There are way too many idiots that bitch about needing more megapixles, when they completely ignore the fact its quality over quantity that matters. Sure apple can double the pixel rating but without a larger sensor, the quality will go down, especially in dim lighting situations. 1200x1600 is more than enough resolution (hell I bet most people complaining about the resolution are not pulling the pictures off the camera in the correct way to keep the original resolution).
    Problem is, these idiots keep clamoring for more megapixles, the camera manufacturers bow down to them, then we get these point and shoots with 11MP that have noise and look like crap.

14. kmasonschecter macrumors newbie

I just wish it were a bit faster, but I realize that also requires a bigger lens. Oh well. New Nikon on the way for the wife for christmas will solve those problems.

15. jayenh macrumors 6502

for a phone that's trying to be a mobile internet/multimedia solution i think the quality is fine (lens etc). it shouldn't have cybershot quality because its not selling itself as a phone/digi cam combined.

what they need to focus on is the camera software. stability, auto adjusting brightness/contract/focus etc, modes, like taking 5 pics in a second or something so you have a chance of getting a good shot of moments that cant be repeated. stuff like that. if it took photos like my old w880i or w890i i'd be happy.

16. deorg macrumors 6502

deorg

People a Phone is a phone , a camera is a camera, a phone camera to rely your phone to take good pics Its just stupid

17. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

??

So the iPhone is just a phone

We shouldnt rely on it for taking photos
    We shouldnt rely on it for emails - computers are much better
    We shouldnt rely on it for appointments - iCal/Outlook are so much better
    etc etc

18. The Phazer macrumors 68030

There are plenty of Sony Ericsson phones with far superior cameras (better lens assemblies, bigger CMOS sensors with better low light performance, higher megapixel count (while I agree that more MP /= better, it does until about 4.5 MP...).

While most of these phones are thicker than the iPhone, they also have the cameras on the other side of the screen - if the camera lens was kept in it's current position, and disassemble the Sony, the actual mechanisms are pretty much the same size.

So yes, there's plenty of room for a better camera. A flash and a retractable lens cover are slightly more tricky, but far from impossible either.

Phazer

19. deadsouls macrumors regular

hell yes it should be better. i don't mind having 2mp at all and i think its fine. its the complete lack of FLASH that makes the camera utterly useless after 6pm.

20. notintheleast macrumors 6502

notintheleast

Don't use installer. It's in Cydia.

Back to the topic at hand.....

I think the camera is fine. The only complaint I have is that it has a hard time if you or your subject matter are moving. that being said, it still serves my purposes as a phone camera.

All the camera really needs is video capability (W/O Jailbreak).

21. candyman macrumors regular

The quality of the photos is not bad, unless the object is moving or you can't hold the phone still enough long enough. Can't they fix the horrible delay on opening the Camera app and then give it a faster shutter speed?

I also think there should be on option to use the power button on top as a way to trigger taking a photo, such as if you want to hold the camera out facing back at you but having no idea where to touch on the screen.

22. rs13 macrumors member

i like your idea i know the problem when your trying to take a picture of your self, i think they should make the whole screen a button to take the picture, so you just tap the screen and it takes the pic. this is one of my main gripes with the iphone camera the software need to be updated but as i said in a earlier post i think its a matter of time before we see an update.

23. question fear macrumors 68020

question fear

I don't really care about megapixels, etc. I understand that more megapixels=/=better pictures.

But there are plenty of phones out there with better cameras that are as thin or nearly as thin as the iPhone...and the camera software is nearly impossible for moving objects. So there's room for improvement, but not being an imaging expert, I am stuck merely pointing out that since other companies can execute better cameras the potential is there for apple as well.

24. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Thank you. I'm sick of people whining about the "2MP camera" in the iPhone. A 20 MP camera won't help when the lens is the size of a needle...

FWIW, I'm happy with the iPhone camera. It takes pictures. Not good ones, but that's why I own a point-and-shoot and a DSLR...

25. Mikey B macrumors 65816

Mikey B

Amen. QFT.