Should the firewall on my Mac be turned on or off?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by zooby, May 10, 2014.

1. zooby, May 10, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017
  2. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

Your Time Capsule is a firewall. Any router out there is a firewall. You can turn on the software firewall in OS X if you want, but it isn't necessary - but it won't harm anything either.

If you use a computer directly connected to a modem or on public wifi, I would certainly turn on the software firewall.

3. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

By definition the NAT that is part of the router is a firewall, but it can't hurt to turn on OSX' version.

I keep mine off mostly when my MBP is connected to my home network, and on when I'm out and about,

4. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Is there any disadvantage to keeping the firewall turned ON when using my home network?

5. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    Other than possibly having to deal with the occasional blocked port, there aren't any disadvantages whatsoever.

6. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

Thanks, Mate.:D

7. Renzatic Suspended

Renzatic

Gramps, what the hell am I paying you for?
    No problem. ;)

In case you're wondering, my opinion about mirrors Sandbox's. If you're just at home, having a software firewall behind your router might be a little redundant, but it doesn't hurt anything at all. You'll most likely never need it, but it is an extra layer of security.

8. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

...or, as my grandmother would say...it couldn't hoit!:p

9. zooby, May 25, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2017

zooby thread starter macrumors 6502a

10. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

It's not that it has or has not a firewall, it's that it is a firewall. A router, which the TC is, is what a firewall is. They're one and the same, inseparable.

The OS X firewall is there as a software firewall to be used when you're not behind a hardware firewall, such as your TC. For times when on untrusted networks like public wifi or being directly plugged into the Internet from a modem which has not a builtin firewall.