Should the Heart complication display BPM?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch Apps' started by perezr10, Oct 1, 2017.

1. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

I could've swore that I saw somewhere that the new Heart complication in watchOS 4 should display your last measured heart rate. However, I'm on watchOS4 and I only see the picture of the red heart. Is any one else getting their heart rate BPM? Do I need to switch that on somehow?

2. CobraPA macrumors 6502a

It may be a Series 3 feature. I agree I thought it was mentioned, but not sure it's supported on all models.

3. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I think it was supposed to be for Series 2 & 3. I have a Series 3 and don’t see it.

4. Marconelly macrumors 6502

Marconelly

It does display your last measured heart rate (on both S3 and S2 watch, I can confirm), but not on all of the complications. You need to be using this on a Modular Large, or Utilitarian Large complication to see it working. On all of the smaller complications, you only see the heart icon. I think the reason they decided to make it this way is because the information of when the displayed heart rate was measured is pretty necessary for a feature like this where it's not measured continuously, and there's only enough space on those two complications to do this.

Otherwise you'd have people potentially freaking out seeing just the number like 150 there, even though they stopped running 5 minutes ago - not knowing that the displayed number was actually measured maybe 7 minutes ago.

5. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

Marconelly - Ah, that’s it. I switched to the larger complication and there it is. Thanks!

6. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

I get the logic, but there are other ways to handle this. Perhaps if the last measured HR is less than one minute old, it's displayed in bright text. Then the HR gets progressively dimmer until a new HR measurement is taken.

As it is, wasting a "large" complication spot just to see the last heart rate is disappointing. Cardiogram has a complication that shows the last HR, but it's wildly inconsistent ... to the point of being useless.

Perhaps, in combination with the new recovery HR feature, your scenario wouldn't be as much of a problem. The AW keeps the HR sensor on for about 3 minutes after a workout to measure your recovery HR, so as long as you're relatively heart healthy, you wouldn't see 150 on the complication.

7. perezr10 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I agree that it’s disappointing to have to use the large complication. I’d prefer to use the big one for something like news or weather. For me, Heart rate is a secondary piece of info that should fall to a small complication.

8. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Consider cardiogram if you want it on the smaller complications