should the hinge move?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Jongewehr, Aug 2, 2009.

1. Jongewehr macrumors 6502

if i hold the screen at a angle should it move down?

or should it hold still? on the 15in unibody.

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Yes, it's designed that way. This has been brought up numerous amount of times. It's not defective.

3. vader26 macrumors regular

My 15" does the same thing if i hold it at a steep angle. From what i've gathered, this is common in the 15" Uni's...

4. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Don't kid yourself that this is a design 'feature'. It is a fault in the manufacturing process.

5. Apple Corps macrumors 68030

My view is that - within reasonable parameters, it is neither a feature nor a fault - it is a reality of the design / materials.

There are always tradeoffs........

6. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

will the hinge get weaker than other hinges over time?

7. airplaneman macrumors 6502a

If you're talking about how far back it goes... In the user's manual, Apple explains that the farthest it is designed to o back is 130 degrees, not a full 180.

8. findwaldonow macrumors member

People were saying that even though Apple says it's designed that way that you could make an appointment to get it tightened at the apple store. I did that and the geniuses there ended up feeding me that garbage about how it's designed that way. I let them do their thing and spout off their memo before explaining that I didn't care if it's supposed to flop around when I move it from one table to another or that I can't put it up on my knees at an angle without it flopping over...it's stupid and I hate it so tighten it anyway. I upgraded from a Gateway that wouldn't move unless you deliberately moved it. You could rotate the thing 360 degrees on any axis and it would stay where you put it until you moved it. Why would anyone want anything different. I just wish they'd stop saying they meant it to be that way, admit it's because glass and metal are heavy, and let people know to get it tightened if they don't like it cuz I really do think it's the worst thing about my machine which I'm otherwise really happy with.

9. Jottle macrumors 6502

I think it's ridiculous that the screens close on themselves as well, but it can't be a manufacturing process fault if there's literally thousands and thousands of these mbp's and they all do it. Go into any apple store anywhere in the world right now and all the floor models will do it. Bad design, absolutely. Defect, I doubt it.

10. Jongewehr thread starter macrumors 6502

so i could take it in to get it tightened , could i opned it up an do it my self?

11. atticus18244fsa macrumors 6502

atticus18244fsa

I bought my 15" 2.53 UMBP in July and mine doesn't do it. It is not super tight but it is not super loose either. Its like perfect.

12. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

Thats what I mean as I know they all do it.

13. Benjic macrumors regular

The hinge is designed so that it's weak enough to be opened without moving the lower half of the laptop, while still strong enough to keep it's angle on 95% of computers during normal use.

14. hugorganista macrumors member

hugorganista

!3" inch too?

I have the 13" inch MBP and it doesn't close or move at any angle.

Maybe its only on the 15"?

15. designgeek macrumors 65816

designgeek

As it has been mentioned before it's only on the 15's. It's just a crappy hinge, between the trackpad and the glossy screen it's one of the most complained-about "feature."

16. findwaldonow macrumors member

I am so sick of hearing about how it's "designed" that way. As I mentioned above, if it was on purpose it was a stupid idea. I don't want to hear that my computer is "supposed to suck". I hate the hinge. I'll deal with it through the life of this machine but I'm not alone in hating this "feature" and I just hope Apple has heard everyone on this issue regardless of whether or not they did a crap job on purpose or lied about their neglecting to think that a notebook hinge maybe shouldn't wobble around.

17. shambo macrumors 6502a

shambo

What absolutely and complete and utter rubbish. If so why don't the 13" ones move? Are they the fault of bad design?

Quit trying to make excuses for shoddy work from Apple.

18. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

You seriously need to take a chill pill. There are far more serious things in life than a darn hinge on your computer and what's being called a "feature". :p

19. asdfTT123 macrumors regular

I notice this "feature" on my new 15" uMBP also. Will the strength of the hinge deteriorate over time? That's really my only concern.