Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should the iPhone 8 be called the 7S?

• Total voters

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
Should the iPhone 8 be called the 7S?

Most people thought Apple would follow the naming convention they had used for years, announcing the iPhone 7S along with whatever the 10th anniversary phone would end up being.

However, what accompanied the X was named the iPhone 8. And Apple fans seemed to go along with it fairly painlessly.

Personally, I think it was a subtle effort by Apple to make people with a 6 or 7 phone feel like their model was even older, putting on the subconscious pressure to upgrade to a new design. So I'm voting yes, it should be called iPhone 7S.

The 8 isn't hugely different than the 7, adding wireless charging and a new chip. Sounds like an "S" upgrade to me.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
You yourself called it a "naming convention", not "naming rules". They could have called it Orange Zebra if they really felt like it. There's no rules here. They called it what they called it and it really doesn't make a lick of difference. They decided to name it "8", so they did. They could have also called it a 7S and named the next phone the 7S-2. It really doesn't change the device one way or the other.

Really, this is kind of like telling someone they named their baby wrong.

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Much of the supply chain in 2017 called it the iPhone 7s. It wasn't until close to release it was renamed iPhone 8. I think it's pretty clear marketing tried make up for the lack of new features.

scottcampbell

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Aug 7, 2017
I mean, it's been out for over a year. So, no. It's the iPhone 8 now. No way around it.

I agree. At this point just keep it the iPhone 8. When it released, perhaps it should have been 7s instead.

Sure my topic isn't the most "timely".

But you know it's okay to revisit a topic after a little bit of distance, and look at it with some hindsight?

I'm obviously not suggesting it actually be changed at this point. But Apple skipped a step in their naming convention and I think it's interesting to discuss.

Reactions: I7guy

Seanm87

macrumors 68020
Oct 10, 2014
It should have been but wasn’t for marketing reasons. Technically it should be called the 6sss.

Juicy Box

macrumors 604
Sep 23, 2014
Another question could be is why the iPhone 7 not named the iPhone 6s².

Then maybe the iPhone 8 could have been called the iPhone 6s³.

They are all basically from the iPhone 6 design.

Reactions: Lucas284

Cancelled
Jul 12, 2016
When Apple uses an iPhone moniker with like iPhone 6/6S, consumers may not see that as a ‘huge’ upgrade when they see the same number, regardless if it has an ‘S’ in front of it. The Next highest number in the iPhone lineup obviously denotes the ‘newest’ device, I think that’s why Apple likely uses the iPhone 8 versus the ‘iPhone 7s’. Apple wants consumer to see the iPhone 8 as an all new device, because using the same number two years in a row may give the impression that consumers aren’t really receiving a major upgrade.

[Side note:

Apple uses marketing to the best of their advantage, most times they’re really good at it, but I don’t agree with the term ‘Max’, it just seems generic, even though it’s just an iPhone title.]

ericwn

macrumors G4
Apr 24, 2016
The more important question is: Should they have called the Max the Max?

How is that important?

I hardly could care less about what made up name the phone in my pocket has. Functionality is important to me. Design to a degree. Names- who cares.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Yeah at the time I thought it seemed like it would usually have been branded as 7S - I guess 8 sounded better alongside X (10).

Reactions: I7guy
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.