Should the new generation macbook pro be my first mac?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by ryum, Oct 14, 2008.

1. ryum macrumors newbie

So, I'm a windows user. 1 year ago i bought a HP with Vista and I ****ing hate it. Slow, choppy and lot's of cheap HTML stuff in their OS. I work mostly with Photoshop for web design and Dreamweaver for coding (wanna get Coda for my mac, sounds awesome), and sometimes i wanna make some motion graphics in after effects. I also play WoW from time to time.

Now, I've read around the forums right after the release of the new macbook(pro)'s, and most people are only writing negative stuff. I've really been thinking about switching to mac, but all this negative stuff makes me a little unsure. Maybe i should just stick with my Vista PC? Or for a first time mac user - is the change worth the money anyway?

Thanks for your answers.

2. JG271 macrumors 6502a

JG271

People complain, whatever is announced.

If you can afford it, and you really want to then go for it!
    enjoy!

3. Fogtripper macrumors member

Well, if your photos are going to be viewed by folks with glossy screens and on the web, the negative changes are not really going to affect you.

4. orpheus1120 macrumors 65816

orpheus1120

On the contrary, I beg to differ.

Think what you want, but having glossy screen as the only option is not right for the mbp users. People who carry around their mbp outside will have glaring and reflection issues, not to mentioned the lack of true colour representation on their screens.

OP, you will have better OSX experience with the unrevised 17" mbp that's still being offered by Apple.

EDIT: The 17" has been revised with high res being the standard. Check the Apple store.

5. Fogtripper macrumors member

He is using photoshop for web images. Web images that the vast majority of users will be viewing on a glossy screen. Having a glossy screen to see precisely what the end user (viewer) will see is not really hurting his work.

6. ryum thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the replies. This is a great forum!

Well, the glossy screen really doesn't matter to me, as my current computer has it, and I'm very happy with it. Yeahyeahyeah, colors may be incorrect, but people buy my work anyway. I guess glossy screens are taking over...

7. benzslrpee macrumors 6502

benzslrpee

just stick to Vista but get a better laptop or something. check out HP's Voodoo line as they should have something that would would fit your needs and you also won't have to buy new software just cause you switched to a Mac.

unless you really just hate Vista with the fury of a scorned woman...which could happen i suppose.

8. KingYaba macrumors 68040

KingYaba

Buy the previous generation Macbook Pro or something else.

9. tbae12 macrumors member

If you got the money then go ahead and switch. The new macbook pros are great in performance and design. I wouldn't recommend it to someone who is thinking about upgrading from a previous generation of macbook pros but since this is going to be your first then buy and enjoy the experience.

10. darngooddesign macrumors G3

You will only get true color representation with a high-end CRT monitor, not some laptop screen, matte or otherwise.