should the power button light up?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by puma1552, Dec 14, 2008.

1. puma1552 macrumors 601

on the late 08 MBP, should the power button light up?

mine doesnt and never has, just curious if theres an led there that should light up or no

2. alexprice macrumors 6502a

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

This isn't a PC. Not every button lights up willy-nilly.

*looks at backlit keyboard*

Not every button that serves no purpose lights up willy-nilly.

4. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

As a recent switcher it's definitely been interesting experiencing the different design philosophies of the Apple camp. Windows users are used to hard drive activity LEDs, for example, and at first it's weird not having that (especially with a near-silent hard drive). But you quickly become accustomed to knowing (and thus caring) a little less about what the laptop is doing and more focused on just using it.

5. bartelby macrumors Core

To be fair I think a power button serves a purpose.

6. SoybeanStasher macrumors regular

That's actually another example of their minimalist design style. If the LCD is on, there's no power indicator, presumably because it's obvious the computer is on. But when screen shuts off to save power, the sleep/power LED comes on to notify the user that the laptop is still on.

They're so proud of these little touches too.

7. sal macrumors 6502

:D

I always thought they had this backwards. But then I remembered those "think different" ads and realized I was wrong and apple is right

:)

8. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Until you download iStat.....especially the menubar version....

9. jonbravo77 macrumors 6502a

jonbravo77

I really like the menu-bar version. However, I find myself not looking at it to much unless something seems a bit slow. I agree with Soybean, it's nice having a laptop that I can just focus on what I am doing then seeing all these lights blinking and flashing and flashing and blinking. :D

10. Eddyisgreat macrumors 601

I compare my Macbook Pro to that of a luxury car that has been modified to a great degree without the obnoxious stickers and such on the outside (the official term would be a "sleeper"). My lenovo, while great in its capacity, looks like a riced out honda with the works. Shopping Cart spoilers, neon underbody, obnoxious purple HID lights, hood scoops, stickers from every known vendor, some of which are now defunct, an indicator light for things most people don't even care about, various guages and a big banner that says "Powered by Intel" on the top.

11. DYER macrumors 6502

very good description and you make a good point. I think that the fact there are no useless lights blinking and flashing.
    i dont need to know every time my hdd is accessed or a glowing power button - i sort of know it is switched on because it is.
    The fact the MBP looks unbelievably is good is just a plus to me as the sheer power is reason enough. heck its a freaking laptop which is less than an inch thick and is faster than out £2000 windows machine