Should the Retina be given its on section?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Mac.User, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Mac.User macrumors 6502

The Air gets its own section and only has 2 trims, and there are quite a few difference in the Pro and Pro Retina. I have seen a few threads were people are not clear on what machine is being spoken of, or ends up giving advice that does not apply.

Personally I don't get why the Retina can not have it's own section.

Would anyone else like to see it split out just to ease some confusion?

Just asking, not trying to start a flame war.

2. RoastingPig macrumors 68000

RoastingPig

yes because mbp and rmbp causes allot of confusion it would be easier just to navigate to another section

3. GSPice macrumors 68000

GSPice

Yes.. way too many people assume one thing or another about which version is being discussed.

4. Krazy Bill macrumors 68030

Krazy Bill

Uh... no. That's all MR needs is another forum. And by the "yes" votes thus far, I can see the retina users are getting tired of slumming around with the "common" people. :)

Why not a 13"/15"/17" while you're at it? Then they can split out the iPhone forums by color.

5. PDFierro macrumors 68040

6. swerve147 macrumors 6502a

swerve147

This isn't just a retina vs. classic issue when people post about their macbooks, , it's a 13 rmbp vs 15 rmbp vs 13 cmbp vs 15 cmbp question. Then there's 2.3 GHz 15 cmbp with a GT650M with 512MB vs a 2.6 or higher with a 1GB GT650M, not to mention the equivalent rMBPs which don't have the 512MB GT650M. Then there's the 2013 refresh.

There's too many differentiators as is, separating the retinas won't do anything imo. Posters just need to be more specific to begin with, or better yet just put their machine in their signature.

Additionally, cMBP and rMBP do share common hardware to a degree. At least the 2012+ do. Maybe create subforums based on the model year, I don't know.

7. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

The only thing that the retina Macbook Pro shares with the Macbook Pro is the name. The case design is different and the internals are different. If we group the retina MBP with the MBP then why bother having a separate forum for the Air? Why not just have a forum titled "Apple laptops"?

8. KUguardgrl13 macrumors 68020

KUguardgrl13

Perhaps the retina shouldn't have it's own forum, but a subforum like the iPhone Accessories section. That way comparison threads can still be posted but specific retina issues can be addresses separately. At some point the post-ppc/early intel machines will probably get their own forum, but for now we make do.

I see no need to separate year models because I've been able to give input on unibody machines newer than mine. Screen size and processor speed are also unnecessary. The iPad and iPhone models aren't separated, and only the iPod touch has its own separate forum.

Perhaps we need to adopt a prefix for retina, unibody, and pre-unibody.

I don't see it as retina owners being elitist. They just don't need help from those of us who only know about non-retina.

9. TrollToddington macrumors 6502

Soon there will be only retina macbook pros. I'd vote 'No' because of that reason.

10. VanillaCracker macrumors 68030

VanillaCracker

Wellllllllllllllllllllllllllll if the cMBP is dropped next monthhhhhh, I don't see why it matters.

Edit: What this guy said ^