Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

DBZmusicboy01

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Sep 30, 2011
It's not fair that in order to have the best features we would need to get the bigger screen model.
I am reading that only the 5.5 will get the dual shot camera...3GB of RAM and a smart connecter. But not the 4.7 model.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
The feature differences, unless I am mistaken, are likly to only be the camera. With the plus series it has, in the past, been physical space. By the looks of leaks it is exactly the same scenario this go around.

I guess they could make the 4.7" thicker to accomodate things. This seems to be a design preference. I will say that a far superior camera (if we get that would help better justify the $100 difference between models. Here's to hoping that difference isn;t over $100 this go around.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
The feature differences, unless I am mistaken, are likly to only be the camera. With the plus series it has, in the past, been physical space. By the looks of leaks it is exactly the same scenario this go around.

I guess they could make the 4.7" thicker to accomodate things. This seems to be a design preference. I will say that a far superior camera (if we get that would help better justify the $100 difference between models. Here's to hoping that difference isn;t over $100 this go around.

Better battery too..

As the OP says, there are rumours that there is going to be a 5.5" only Pro version with extra RAM and a Smart Connector.

And the better battery is a direct consequence of the larger physical size.

Reactions: bhayes444

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
I blame a lot of it on Apple's insistence on making the phone thinner and thinner. Look at the 3 major differences:
- OIS plus only
- Longer battery life in the Plus
- 1080p plus only

All of these are solved to an extent by allowing the 4.7" phone to be thicker. It provides the depth for OIS on the camera and allows for a bigger battery. My rationale for 1080p being plus only is because if you put that on the 4.7" with its already shorter battery life.......now battery life would be even that much worse trying to push this display.

Looking at how mockups of the up-coming devices wobble on a table without a case due to the new huge camera bumps, I just don't see why you don't make the phone thicker and eliminate this nonsense.

HarryWild

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2012
Apple product sell on sex appeal first! It is a luxury good! You pay a big premium for it! Apple will make it functional but not state of the art because they don't have to in order to sell it! It all hype and looks except for the camera! Camera is state of the art!

Newtons Apple

Suspended
Mar 12, 2014
Jacksonville, Florida
It's not fair that in order to have the best features we would need to get the bigger screen model.
I am reading that only the 5.5 will get the dual shot camera...3GB of RAM and a smart connecter. But not the 4.7 model.

No one said life was fair. This "compromise" between the two size devices has been discussed over and over.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
Apple product sell on sex appeal first! It is a luxury good! You pay a big premium for it! Apple will make it functional but not state of the art because they don't have to in order to sell it! It all hype and looks except for the camera! Camera is state of the art!
You are kidding right? I hope for credibility sake you are kidding.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
You are kidding right? I hope for credibility sake you are kidding.

He's not wrong. There are Android phones that have caught up to or surpassed the iPhone in most regards. Not that iPhones aren't great, and they do still offer some unique advantages, but Apple sells as many as they do for as high a price as they do largely based on brand recognition, and they do make functionality sacrifices for the sake of style and simplicity.

The.Glorious.Son

macrumors 68000
Sep 28, 2015
Chicago, IL
He's not wrong. There are Android phones that have caught up to or surpassed the iPhone in most regards. Not that iPhones aren't great, and they do still offer some unique advantages, but Apple sells as many as they do for as high a price as they do largely based on brand recognition, and they do make functionality sacrifices for the sake of style and simplicity.
I agree that Android has caught up and surpassed in many areas. Not questioning that. But the iPhone is a luxury item? Sex appeal? My god all we have heard about the last two years is how ugly the bezels are, how ugly the antenna lines are, etc. I'll give you that iPhones sell on brand recognition and perhaps simplicity of the operating system, but the days of status symbol, luxury item, sex appeal, etc have long ago passed. Lastly, he says the camera on the iPhone is state of the art. Maybe in 2010. And I'm an iPhone fanatic saying this.

mlody

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2012
Windy City
I think no iPhone should have PRO in the name. With such high competition there is nothing about the current iPhone that would be justifiable to be called PRO. Assuming most of the rumors about the upcoming iPhone are true, there isn't anything as far as we know that could justify PRO moniker either.

It is different for the iPad to be called PRO, since the competition is basically non existent; but any flagship android smartphone is just better under many categories, so if Apple is not planning to offer anything jaw dropping, they better not use PRO in the name as they will only open themselves for tons of scrutiny. On the other hand, I would love to see Samsung to get creative when attacking Apple iPhone PRO based on the name alone. Those adds could be very entertaining and interesting.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I think no iPhone should have PRO in the name. With such high competition there is nothing about the current iPhone that would be justifiable to be called PRO. Assuming most of the rumors about the upcoming iPhone are true, there isn't anything as far as we know that could justify PRO moniker either.

It is different for the iPad to be called PRO, since the competition is basically non existent; but any flagship android smartphone is just better under many categories, so if Apple is not planning to offer anything jaw dropping, they better not use PRO in the name as they will only open themselves for tons of scrutiny. On the other hand, I would love to see Samsung to get creative when attacking Apple iPhone PRO based on the name alone. Those adds could be very entertaining and interesting.

Agreed. Apple needs to stop with the pro, plus BS and just call it the iPhone in 4", 4.7" and 5.5" sizes.

Reactions: ABC5S

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
I think at this point there's more evidence against the 7 Pro than for it. The only evidence was the rumors of a dual camera system and the naming, which were later said to be abandoned. But if they do introduce Pro models, then there should be a 4.7" pro but there are space constraints internally for the dual camera.

I hope they don't though, saving exclusive features for larger models is a trend with Apple and I'm glad the difference is small with iPhone. Introducing more models will confuse the lineup to the point that they will be worse than Samsung (in terms of flagship lineups only).
[doublepost=1470091430][/doublepost]
Agreed. Apple needs to stop with the pro, plus BS and just call it the iPhone in 4", 4.7" and 5.5" sizes.
Yeah that would be good but that naming is more suitable if the iPhone was exactly (maybe other than resolution) the same at each size. Right now they should go with mini, [normal], Plus for both iPhone and iPad. They need to stop with the Pro naming.

Dirtydutch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2015
Jerseyyy
I'm sorry, but the thought of having to designate a device as the 4.7" iPhone 7 Pro makes me sad.

What happened to the days when it was just the iPhone....
I can't deny it used to be just as exciting to go pick my color and storage as being white or black and leaving very happy.

aces99

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2014
Canada
I blame a lot of it on Apple's insistence on making the phone thinner and thinner. Look at the 3 major differences:
- OIS plus only
- Longer battery life in the Plus
- 1080p plus only

All of these are solved to an extent by allowing the 4.7" phone to be thicker. It provides the depth for OIS on the camera and allows for a bigger battery. My rationale for 1080p being plus only is because if you put that on the 4.7" with its already shorter battery life.......now battery life would be even that much worse trying to push this display.

Looking at how mockups of the up-coming devices wobble on a table without a case due to the new huge camera bumps, I just don't see why you don't make the phone thicker and eliminate this nonsense.

Yes they could easily solve these by making the phone a little bit thicker, which would make it easier to a hold. I am not sure why they are so obsessed in making it so thin.

Reactions: The.Glorious.Son

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
If those rumors are true, then I'm in favor of it. I want to see Apple broaden the iPhone line. I'm lovin' the SE... great phone at a terrific price for those on the low end. They should offer an iPhone 7 ultra-Pro that caters to those who want a no-compromise option. leave the 4.7 in the mid-range.

countryside

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2016
If I could get better battery life and a superior camera (in the 4.7 size), I would pay extra for it. I also do not care if it is thicker, as that has never been a big deal to me personally.

Reactions: dontworry

Jimmy James

macrumors 603
Oct 26, 2008
Magicland
If they're limiting features for the plus they may as well limit them for an iPad sized phone. Either way it's not something I'm carrying everywhere.

joeblow7777

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2010
I agree that Android has caught up and surpassed in many areas. Not questioning that. But the iPhone is a luxury item? Sex appeal? My god all we have heard about the last two years is how ugly the bezels are, how ugly the antenna lines are, etc. I'll give you that iPhones sell on brand recognition and perhaps simplicity of the operating system, but the days of status symbol, luxury item, sex appeal, etc have long ago passed. Lastly, he says the camera on the iPhone is state of the art. Maybe in 2010. And I'm an iPhone fanatic saying this.

Not everyone is bent out of shape (no "bendgate" pun intended) about the bezels and antenna lines. The iPhone is a sleek looking device, and that attracts more people than you might think.

Appleaker

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
If those rumors are true, then I'm in favor of it. I want to see Apple broaden the iPhone line. I'm lovin' the SE... great phone at a terrific price for those on the low end. They should offer an iPhone 7 ultra-Pro that caters to those who want a no-compromise option. leave the 4.7 in the mid-range.
"no-compromise option"? A lot of Android phones would surpass it in specs and even performance. The smart connector should be present on all iPhones, and would be useful for charging docks and especially battery cases. The downsize is it goes against the clean look they are after with this model.
The only advantage to the pro would be for photographers. In that case, the large screen would make sense and the smart connector could be used for lighting accessories or something (as well as battery cases, etc).
[doublepost=1470158459][/doublepost]
Not everyone is bent out of shape (no "bendgate" pun intended) about the bezels and antenna lines. The iPhone is a sleek looking device, and that attracts more people than you might think.
The antenna lines aren't nice but there is nothing wrong with the bezels (although they make the Plus extra large). I would prefer a separate home button than smaller bezels on the top and bottom. The side bezels are alright but they could be smaller.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.