Should there be a Competitor to the Facebook App?

Discussion in 'iOS Apps' started by JASApplications, Dec 19, 2010.

1. JASApplications macrumors 65816

So for Twitter Apps there are tons, Twitter, Twitterific, Echofon, Osfoora etc

However there is only 1 good Facebook App, made by FaceBook themselves. Has anyone attempted to compete with them or has nobody given it a real go?

And if someone gave it a go, do you think if they built a top quality App they could be successful.

James

2. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

nope. the only reason twitterific was ever successful was because it was out BEFORE the official app was ever out. Facebook has always had it's proprietary app out, so people aren't gonna see a reason to have to switch. unless you make a "useless status update generator", then people will flock to it by the masses :cool:

3. zachsilvey macrumors 6502

Do you think you could make a better app?

The facebook app is a very solid app, I can't think of much to make it better.

4. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

A very solid app that is unable to chat on because it randomly erases the conversation. :rolleyes: it should be able to like comments by now...

5. mikelegacy macrumors 65816

mikelegacy

That is my ONLY problem with the Facebook app. That damn chat app NEVER works....but it would be nice to be able to view your groups as well...

6. M-5 macrumors 65816

M-5

I can view my groups within the app. But I have to manually check it for updates, since it won't tell me. I usually have to check for general notifications by refreshing the thing as well.

7. QuarterSwede, Dec 19, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

Or comment on someone's note or a group of photos. Those drive me insane.

Also, although it's gotten better over the updates photos sometimes still take forever to load or they never load at all.

Another thing you can't do is hide posts. Why should I have to login to get rid of some new app I don't want to see the updates to?

8. Bawstun macrumors 65816

Bawstun

The only thing that irritates me about the current Facebook app we have is...

THE DAMN BUG THAT LOADS YOUR FEED BACK TO THE BEGINNING SPONTANEOUSLY AFTER YOU CLICK "OLDER POSTS..."

Seriously. It's never gone away - WHY?! Every version, bug still there.

You're reading your friends' updates, get to the bottom, and click "Older posts..." fine...you get to the end, do it again...again...but every so often you hit it...and BOOM it's back wayyyyyyyyy previous to where it was before and you have to scroll down and hit older posts 3 or 4 times just to get back to where you were. Hate it.

9. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

How could I have forgotten about that one! Yeah, super annoying.

Here's another, when loading new posts why does it jump to the newest at the top of the page instead of doing what it ought to do and load from the last post loaded (like Twitter does). That way you can read from where you were in the timeline to the newest.

10. JASApplications, Dec 20, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010

JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Yeh, that pisses me off as well because when I wake up in the morning and check Facebook on my phone (as you do!) I have to scroll down like 4 pages to get to where I was reading the statuses! They should make it like Twitter.

11. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

I dont ever use chat but I saw fb updated the other day and one og the improvements was the chat portion. Anyone try using the new version yet? Still crap?

12. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

Still a pile of **** unfortunately. I managed 1 message in chat and then the App crashed. An improvement but still not great!

13. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

I don't have any issues with the new update. If you don't like the Facebook app for iPhone you should check out Android's version.... major POS.

I use Friendly and Facebook HD for iPad.

14. mpossoff macrumors 68020

Yeah I hear you. I'm often chatting then if someone calls or something the cconversation gets erased.

15. Demosthenes X macrumors 68000

Demosthenes X

Mobile App needs better event integration, too. Why can't I accept an event invite on the App, and then send it to my iPhone calendar? Been waiting for that feature forever...

That said, the App is pretty good. There's some little features (like event integration) that need adding, but overall, it does a good job.

16. mattdo93 macrumors 6502

mattdo93

I was always more pissed off about the notification system, which FB has now greatly improved for me, and I also like how it has the profile picture next to the notification. I'm only waiting for the chance to tag people in statuses :cool: As for FB chat, I use the Meebo app. The Meebo app has been updated to work with FB chat and improved notifications as well :D

17. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Whenever I use facebook chat I use it through my AIM app. Sends push notifications, keeps conversations, don't have to be in the facebook app, and looks nice.

18. JASApplications thread starter macrumors 65816

that's what I have to do too. But it would better if everything was in 1 App.

19. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

I have no qualms with the official Facebook app. But then again, I don't use it all that much, like I do with my Twitter apps.

To be honest with you, I don't think there is need to have the App Store overrun with Facebook apps when the official app is just fine. There is a good selection of Twitter apps available, but some of them are pretty atrocious.

20. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

I suspect their may be issues with licensing Facebook's content.