Should there be an OS X complete redesign?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by yliu, Aug 19, 2013.

1. yliu macrumors regular

WIth iOS7 announced with a complete new design, will OS X switch to a design that matches iOS7 better?

After all, the overall design had not changed much since Leopard.

2. sonicrobby macrumors 68020

sonicrobby

Nope, they should be separate. A flat design may work on mobile devices, but desktops should have a more professional look. Too put it in perspective of appearance, Id rather my desktop look like the movie avatar rather than south park. I find windows 8 suited for a phone or tablet, on a desktop its just horrid.

Whether or not Apple will do this is up to them, I just hope they dont.

3. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

I hope not, I can let iOS7 slide but wouldn't welcome that kind of change happening to OS X.

On the plus side, it would be easier to mod/hack OS X back to 10.8 style

4. Ledgem macrumors 65816

Ledgem

So what? Why should OS X undergo a major redesign?

I get that a lot of people use their computers and phones as fashion accessories and want a new style every year, but for those of us who use these devices to get work done, what good does a redesign do us? I'm willing to accept new features or a redesign that allows me to get more work done, more easily. But a style change for the sake of a style change is just a waste of my time, especially if it forces me to develop a new work pattern and re-learn where everything is.

5. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

Exactly, when something works really well leave it alone. I hate it when people 'get bored' and change something for change sake.

6. GimmeSlack12 macrumors 603

GimmeSlack12

Yeah like Exposé :'(

People post a lot of threads about iOS and Mac OS becoming one and the same. I'm not sure that needs to happen based simply on "Why?". Followed by "How?".

A touch input on a desktop hasn't really been attempted, though MS Surface was the furthest attempt to bridge the gap. How'd that go again?

It's all based on finding an input source that is better than the mouse and keyboard before any sort of mainstream 'touch' computer will replace our Macs (and Mac OS). And I haven't heard, or thought of any successors to the good ol' QWERTY.

7. MDJCM macrumors regular

MDJCM

Expose, the gesture or the result?

http://osxdaily.com/2012/07/30/expose-mac-os-x-mountain-lion/

I find it helps to change it to 3 finger gestures instead of 4 finger. No reason to use 4.