Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
Should They Kill Find my Friends?

I know how it works, I'm merely not a fan of it.

Then you would know that you don't need to turn off location services for the app in settings, you can hide(temporarily or permanently) yourself clearly and easily within the app.

Only friends that you invite are added to the app, and not all your friends by default. You can make your location temporarily known to certain friends as needed. And with a sunset time stamp. Lastly you can remove anyone at any time.

neilmacd

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2010
UK
+1, nice idea.

Only issue I can see is if integrated with Maps, we might lose features like Notify Me.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010
No, please, don't give them any wrong ideas. We use Find Friends a lot to track our kids.

If I remember correctly, Google went that way. They used to have Google Latitude (that worked across platforms), killed it and incorporated its functionality into Google Maps, and then killed that too, forcing people to use Google+ to post their locations, which is much less convenient.

Find Friends works great, leave it alone.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City
No, please, don't give them any wrong ideas. We use Find Friends a lot to track our kids.

Careful expressing that use on this forum. There is a very vocal minority on here who thinks that this is an invasion of your kids' privacy; if you need to resort to this behavior you have no trust and are in a dysfunctional relationship.

I DO NOT subscribe to this philosophy as I use FmF often to keep tabs on the whereabouts of my family. It is a great app.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
Careful expressing that use on this forum. There is a very vocal minority on here who thinks that this is an invasion of your kids' privacy; if you need to resort to this behavior you have no trust and are in a dysfunctional relationship.

I DO NOT subscribe to this philosophy as I use FmF often to keep tabs on the whereabouts of my family. It is a great app.

My wife and I use it. It's a great feature.

My kids will be required to use it when they are phone age.

And as for this vocal minority, my children will have plenty of privacy when they turn 18 and move out. Till then, mom and I make the rules and this is not a democracy.

phillytim

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2011
Philadelphia, PA
My vote: Keep it

I like Find My Friends; it's built-in, Apple-sanctioned goodness that doesn't seem to cause unnecessary GPS/battery drainage that other 3rd party apps cause.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Creepy app, why not just phone people :D
Probably because what the app does is unrelated to what calling someone does. By that logic the Messages app is useless as well since you can just call people rather than message them.

Mr-Kerrse

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2011
United Kingdom
Probably because what the app does is unrelated to what calling someone does. By that logic the Messages app is useless as well since you can just call people rather than message them.

You mean the app lets you stalk people.. only weirdo's would want to stalk their friends :D

A message app is not a tracking app so please at least use a decent example to prove your not valid point :rolleyes:

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Hm.. Never heard of this app/feature, but sounds interesting.
Is there any way i can activate it on my gf's iphone without her knowing? :)

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
You mean the app lets you stalk people.. only weirdo's would want to stalk their friends :D

A message app is not a tracking app so please at least use a decent example to prove your not valid point :rolleyes:

* It let's me know when my son is available without having to call him as I can see when he is in his dorm and not at a friends place or in class or out with friends.

* It let's me see where my underage kids are as that is my right as a parent. And note that I am not sitting there constantly "stalking" my kids. When I need to know where they are because I need to, I check instead of disturbing them with a text or a call. I can even tell when they are mid-trip coming home from a friends house. Last thing I want to do is have my son's phone ringing and distracting him while he is riding his bike/driving a car when just seeing he is on his way is all I really wanted to know. This has been the case a TON of time with me and my kids...and they appreciate it.

* I can see my wife/she can see me so again, we don't bug each other if I can see she is at the gym or at work...same for me with her.

These are just the top reasons it is a great app....and anyone can block anyone else from seeing them at any time.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

Aside from the fact that that wasn't the analogy you made, using an app to share location between parties that agreed to it seems to fall quite a bit away from the realm of stalking. Unrelated and incorrect "connections" aren't really helpful when trying to make a point (especially when there's really no point to make). :rolleyes:

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Hm.. Never heard of this app/feature, but sounds interesting.
Is there any way i can activate it on my gf's iphone without her knowing? :)

Well, yes, but you'll need to have physical possessin of her phone for at least a few minutes. I think you also need to know her Apple ID password, or her phone password if her phone is password locked.

And if she ever thinks to open the Find My Friends app and check her followers list, you'll be immediately discovered.

msvadi

macrumors 6502
Aug 12, 2010

If that helps at all: our kids can track us too...

But on a more serious note, it's just a tool: instead of calling and asking where they are, we can check their location in the app.

Imagine calling your kids to ask where they are and receiving in response: "You are invading my privacy!!!"

ManhattanBeach

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
Maps integration would be awesome, but I just don't see them putting the time in to do this until a major OS upgrade.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
I stopped using it (as did all of my friends) because of how many times you had to authenticate to keep the damn thing working. It'd be much more widely used if you didn't need to enter your password every five seconds.

viewfly

macrumors 65816
May 1, 2009
I stopped using it (as did all of my friends) because of how many times you had to authenticate to keep the damn thing working. It'd be much more widely used if you didn't need to enter your password every five seconds.

You can avoid that if you use a 4 digit unlock password for your phone. Or fingerprint on the 5S.

It's a security thing.

Mike in Kansas

macrumors 6502a
Sep 2, 2008
Metro Kansas City

That's funny - I had to authenticate it once like last year and haven't had to do it since. You must be doing something wrong...

hunt2013

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2011
Works fine for me on iOS 7. Always has. My family uses it after apple decided to not allow secondary iCloud accounts to use find my iPhone.

fs454

macrumors 68000
Dec 7, 2007
Los Angeles / Boston
You can avoid that if you use a 4 digit unlock password for your phone. Or fingerprint on the 5S.

It's a security thing.

It's a stupid security thing. Not all of us care that much when you can lock your phone remotely if it were lost or stolen.

Although now I have a 5S and things have changed. Not the same with my friends, so that's one step in the right direction.

Pompiliu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2012
Well, yes, but you'll need to have physical possessin of her phone for at least a few minutes. I think you also need to know her Apple ID password, or her phone password if her phone is password locked.

And if she ever thinks to open the Find My Friends app and check her followers list, you'll be immediately discovered.
I did it.
I actually turned on Find My Iphone on her phone, as i know her apple id password* and now i can locate her whenever i want. :cool:

*it wasn't too hard, it's her name spelled backwards. She isn't that smart, is she? :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.