Should this be so?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by raymondu999, May 9, 2008.

1. raymondu999 macrumors 65816

Hi guys. Recently, I've just noticed something. I sometimes encode videos to other formats on my MBP, and sometimes on my iMac. I use VisualHub, which is an excellent program. It's quite efficient, as usually when I open activity manager, it immediately takes up around 1GB of RAM, and also up to around 195%, meaning 100% of one core and 95% on the other. The diagram shows the cores constantly switch. However, on my MBP, the fans start blaring out LOUD. This, however, doesn't happen with my iMac. Then I can't remember why, but I was running my MBP off AC the other day, with battery out, then I noticed that my conversion in VisualHub took up the same RAM, the same amount of processor, and yet, no fan. But then I tried plugging in the battery, and 5 minutes later the fans came blaring on at 6000rpm. Took it out, and 5 minutes later, it was gone. Is it possible that the BATTERY is heating up instead of the proc?

2. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

fan speed is based on memory controller / northbridge

and i guess when you remove the battery it lets more heat escape the case

3. mikes63737 macrumors 65816

I'm curious too... I've been having a similar problem with other apps.

[Edit] And that explains why the trackpad gets warm sometimes. Thanks squeeks.

4. raymondu999 thread starter macrumors 65816

So if I take out the battery, making it straight run off AC power, the battery won't get to heat up due to excessive use? Btw, squeeks, I love the MBP in your avatar!:D Where did you buy that?

5. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

apparently so, i shall test it

actually its meant the macbook pro to something else beautiful:D

6. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

ok so, i looks like they have changed it to be based off of the CPU

here are some images to support this

this is with the battery installed, running on AC, running 100% load doing rosetta on Boinc

Attached Files:

7. squeeks macrumors 68040

squeeks

sorry to make three posts in a row but its necessary to separate the images for the test

look what happens to my temps when i removed the battery, i didnt power down i just removed it, im still doing 100% CPU load on both cores

my CPU immediately dropped 10c (really odd) and i lost my enclosure bottom reading

now as soon as i plugged the battery back in my temps climbed back to 76c in about 10 seconds

Attached Files: