Should this happen?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tectactoe, Feb 3, 2012.

1. tectactoe macrumors newbie

Sitting on a web page and scrolling up and down quickly, over and over again, cause my CPU temp to sky rocket.

I know it's not something you do all the time, but it has me worried yet again.... After sitting on a page and simply scrolling up and down quickly, the temp rose from about 50C to 80C in about 20 seconds.

Should this happen?? I don't understand why it would.

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yes, it should. Displaying a rapidly changing screen is CPU intensive.

3. tectactoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Hm, thank you. I never knew that. I'm pretty clueless when it comes to computers and everyone here has been so helpful haha.

Thanks!

4. tectactoe thread starter macrumors newbie

hmm... I just tested the same thing on my friend's old Macbook... His rose up to about 53C and then stopped, never went about that.... However mine will go up to 75C if I keep doing it.

This just seems weird to me.... Maybe I'm paranoid? Any reason why mine would do that and his old Macbook wouldn't?

5. iThinkergoiMac macrumors 68030

MacBook Pros generate more heat than MacBooks. His is older and generates even less heat. Nothing here is out of the ordinary.

6. simsaladimbamba

If you are really worried, open Activity Monitor and activate the CPU window (CMD+2) and then scroll up and down like you always like to do. See the CPU spike?

7. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

8. tectactoe thread starter macrumors newbie

Alright... I'm new to the world of Mac's and on top of that, I'm not very tech savvy, so I tend to overreact and freak out when it comes to stuff like this.

I was using Word and Excel while playing YouTube in the background and my temperatures reached about 58-62C, I started freaking. My friend told me to chill, that it was normal.

LOL, I guess I need to stop being so paranoid!

9. pscraig macrumors member

This is normal. Especially if the CPU has a integrated GPU like the newer Macs with Intel HD 3000 graphics. The GPU has to render every one of those pixels as the screen is scrolled, so its going to get hot. Since the GPU is on the same die as the CPU, the temperature is one and the same and goes up. Heck my i7Q MBP idles at 55 degrees.

Your Mac will take care of itself. If you happen to do something that pushes it too hard, there are thermal protections built in and if all else fails the CPU is designed to just shut down before heat gets out of control (think broken CPU fan, etc)

So just use it and don't worry about it. Some things like watching Netflix or Flash games will cause it to get warm, but don't worry about it. Just enjoy.