Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Should Tim Cook step down as CEO?

• Yes

Votes: 28 29.8%
  • No

Votes: 62 66.0%
  • Not sure

Votes: 4 4.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

DaveP

macrumors 6502a
Mar 18, 2005
The immediate question would be: who would then be CEO? Tim Cook seems to be doing a pretty good job. There is always room for improvement, but someone changing would be a risk and in my opinion, a replacement would more likely do a worse job.

It's like the US political surveys where they ask if you would vote for a "generic Republican" or "generic Democrat". "Generic" politicians don't exist and neither do "generic" CEO's. If you could replace Tim Cook with the perfect CEO then sure. But the perfect CEO doesn't exist.

Reactions: ActionableMango

Caspavio

macrumors regular
Apr 18, 2018
tim cook isnt a bad CEO, but he sure isnt the visionary Jobs is. maybe they need a CTO instead of jonny ive. im speculating a part of the problem is ive is too influential in apple, and some priority is given to design instead of engineering. of course it's can also be bad if engineering is given priority, like pixel 3 XL.

Reactions: neutrino23

mittencuh

macrumors regular
Nov 4, 2012
Colorado Springs
Tim is actually growing on me. Had more against him earlier.
But he’s starting to get more secure in being CEO, in who he is in this role.

So No.

Totally agree, I thought he was awkward at first on stage, he definitely has grown into his role on stage which, from my personal experience, is a reflection of growing more comfortable and feeling more integrated in one's overall role.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains
Certainly not for the ups and down of the stock market; financially speaking, Apple went through the roof since Steve Job's passing. Not sure Jobs would have taken the company to the financial heights it achieved. That said, I don't think any next 'big thing' will be coming out of Apple as long as Cook is at the helm.

Maybe the world is less in need of a next big thing than a couple beats to fix a few things that are already out there. :rolleyes: Goes for the whole planet, so why not Apple as well. However, I don't have a problem with Tim Cook. I remember Sculley. I'll take Cook.

I still love Apple gear and their ecosystem, but like any other Apple fanatic I have my particular list of things I think Tim Cook should be poring over how to bring up to my standards, even while he's eating dinner. I regard myself as a typical tech user, too. :D

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
Maybe the world is less in need of a next big thing than a couple beats to fix a few things that are already out there. :rolleyes: Goes for the whole planet, so why not Apple as well. However, I don't have a problem with Tim Cook. I remember Sculley. I'll take Cook.

I still love Apple gear and their ecosystem, but like any other Apple fanatic I have my particular list of things I think Tim Cook should be poring over how to bring up to my standards, even while he's eating dinner. I regard myself as a typical tech user, too. :D
Just to restate my previous post, if I wanted a visionary to create the next startup, I would bet on Steve. Apple is now the powerhouse that can look 10 years into the future and see where their tech needs to be, while being flexible enough to disrupt themselves before a startup does. So far so good.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Just to restate my previous post, if I wanted a visionary to create the next startup, I would bet on Steve. Apple is now the powerhouse that can look 10 years into the future and see where their tech needs to be, while being flexible enough to disrupt themselves before a startup does. So far so good.
Did you hear that Steve left us?

macjoshua

macrumors 6502a
Mar 4, 2011
Nashville, TN
I don’t know that he should step down, but he needs to come up with a business strategy that’s better than just charging more for products to make up for diminishing sales. If he, or his team, can’t do that, plummeting stocks/revenues are going prompt the board to force him to resign.

sza

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 21, 2010
Now it’s time for Tim Crook to step down.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
Congrats !!!

Don't be afraid to take it back for a refund in the 14 day window if it has any T2 bridge OS crashes / restarts.
mines been running as a plex server since the 1st day i got it and its been fine
[doublepost=1546621093][/doublepost]
tim cook isnt a bad CEO, but he sure isnt the visionary Jobs is. maybe they need a CTO instead of jonny ive. im speculating a part of the problem is ive is too influential in apple, and some priority is given to design instead of engineering. of course it's can also be bad if engineering is given priority, like pixel 3 XL.
visionaries don't happen everyday

kazmac

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2010
Any place but here or there....
I wish Apple’s collective brass would step down. Won’t happen though. There have been a lot of sloppy software mistakes, and decisions like passing off manufacturing defects on a tablet as okay are reasons why. To say nothing of customers acting like beta testers now.

The recent comment about moving toward services bothers me, given the current track record of hardware and software snafus + higher prices.

I’d be fine if the hardware and software quality and QC were excellent, but... here I am for now.

Last edited:

plexdk

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2007
Yarp. Apple's design has doesn't have the WOW factor any more. It's more to the same with each successive generation thinner than the previous. The last time I was impressed by Apple's design was the lamp shade iMac. Machine was a thing of beauty, both in form and function.

So that means you only liked the colored CRT iMacs, colored macbooks, lamp, and then the pre-steve pc looking macs? :p

Maybe apple's design language isn't for you at all then ;)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.