Should update the MBP 2011 to the current rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by dksousa, Oct 29, 2013.

1. dksousa macrumors newbie

I have a 2011 13" MBP but I am in doubt whether I should upgrade, but was thinking of upgrading to non retina MBP 2013 is worth the upgrade?

the difference from HD 3000 to HD 4000 is too big?
    on the iris graphics we only noticed the difference is on games right?

i little afraid about the 13" rMBP because I do not like the idea of ​​having the RAM soldered and to update the HDD is very expensive. I do not think its vary safe and durable, maybe its things of my head.

2. JeffiJers macrumors 6502a

Buying a 13Retina is huge upgrade.
    Buying a 13Classic is near pointless for you, keep the 2011.

I would get over the soldered ram as it is here to stay.

3. dksousa thread starter macrumors newbie

My mbp have 4gb of ram if i upgrade to 16gb of ram does it increase the performance of the gpu?

Its it safe and durable the soldered ram and ssd?

4. dksousa thread starter macrumors newbie

5. bigpoppamac31 macrumors 68000

I'm wondering the same thing. I have an early 2011 MBP.

6. Atomic Walrus macrumors 6502a

There is no upgrade you can make to increase performance of the GPU. Increasing RAM does not improve performance of any aspect of the machine unless you are caching to disk (exceeding available RAM), at which point it will prevent that caching and avoid the short freezes that come along with HDD caching (often seen as "beach balling" on Macs).

7. dksousa thread starter macrumors newbie

I was asking tha about the gpu about i saw this (see the intel hd 3000 part) https://support.apple.com/kb/HT3246

8. DHagan4755 macrumors 6502a

DHagan4755

Not really worth upgrading to the non-retina model released in June, 2012. You'd be better off replacing the 4GB memory in your current MacBook Pro with 16GB & swapping out the HD with a SSD. It will immediately feel like a new computer with an SSD.

9. dksousa thread starter macrumors newbie

And upgradin to the rMBP is very huge diference?

But i true i was saying if put more ram it increase the performe of the gpu right?
    I am asking again i not that good with english because is not my native language

10. leftyMac macrumors regular

I upgraded my 2011 MBP with an SSD (en lieu of super drive), also from 4GB to 8GB of RAM. I use my MBP to edit videos in premiere, do some animation in After Effects, recording music in various apps, and the only time I feel like buying a new mac is when I render videos.

but I decided to upgrade RAM to 16GB, and replace a regular HD of 500GB with another SSD. and I'm getting a NAS to store most of files that are not being used, to deal with smaller size of SSD capacity, which I'm totally OK with. so they are on my shopping list right now. I know it won't speed up the rendering significantly, but with the performance this machine is putting out, I can't justify a new purchase of a new computer, especially the lack of FW port on rMBP puts me off.

just my 2 cents.

11. dksousa thread starter macrumors newbie

I think my consumism monster is dead :p the chances to keep my mbp and upgrade is bigger :)

Nobody help me with about the ram question i left on last post...

12. leftyMac macrumors regular

Atomic Walrus answered your question already. more RAM won't help the GPU. more RAM will help run (editing and such) apps faster, but when it comes to rendering, not so much.

13. Count Blah macrumors 68030

Count Blah

I would second this approach. The difference will be night and day.