Should upgrade now 15' MBP or wait

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by chrisfromalbany, Jan 28, 2016.

1. chrisfromalbany macrumors 6502

What are the differences between original 15 inch retina Macbook (which I currently own) and current one? I thought the display was difference / better? I know the force touch went into the MBP in the Mid 2015 update. Also the SSD is faster now..

The current MBP I have is 15 inch and it isn't that stable and seems reload up everytime I turn it on and battery life is poor. Other then that I really like. I wondering if getting a mid 2015 model for $2K new on eBay is right option or waiting for skylake redesign? I don't think the skylake performance increase is all that much.

2. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

The display is about the same. The CPU, GPU, SSD and RAM are all going to be faster in the newer comparable models. The battery life is also improved.

If you need a new computer now, get one now. There is no guarantee that the next revision will get a redesign. It's entirely possible that it simply gets Skylake and DDR4.

3. chrisfromalbany, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 28, 2016

chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

I had the
    MacBook Pro (Retina, 15-inch, Mid 2012) - Technical Specifications
    https://support.apple.com/kb/sp653?locale=en_US

thinking just unloading old MBPr on cashforyourmac or some other site taking the money as seed money to get the new one. I have taken to store before get motherboard replaced and prefer not at this point take in in again get serviced. I tend to be a power user so don't feel bad about life I have gotten out of it.

4. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 604

I doubt DDR4 will be used it has been shown to be almost exactly the same speed wise in current available configurations.

http://www.anandtech.com/show/8959/...-3200-with-gskill-corsair-adata-and-crucial/8

5. chrisfromalbany thread starter macrumors 6502

A redesign would be a burn and then I have to sell the current one and I would get new one. lol..

But I like to have a distinct graphics card so talking about 15' mid-2015 model and want get 512 SSD not the 256 SSD, just because that is what I currently have. I thought about getting a 2014 model because the force touch isn't that big of a deal but the SSD is half as quick in 2014 model as the 2015 model. Also the 2014 model isn't sold for that much less then 2015 so not too much incentive to go older.

15.4-inch MacBook Pro 2.5GHz Quad-core Intel i7 with Retina Display 512 SSD