Should wait for new Iphone or getting this one for my wife?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by absolutic, May 26, 2009.

1. absolutic macrumors regular

My wife's verizon blackberry keeps dying and she replaced it several times. I've had Iphone 3G from Day 1 and am very happy with it. I want to get my wife an Iphone 3G but wondering if it is worth to wait for announcement.

The problem I remember last year the announcement came in June but the phone wasn't released until July. Unless they announce it this year and have in stores immediately? Plus I am not sure whether any of the new options on a new phone would appeal to my wife: 1) if they have better camera, I don't care, I use DSLRs and better cameras for photography, 2) more capacity I don't care, I have not filled my 8GB 3G Iphone, 3) better internet surfing speed - now that is something that I'd like, but how much faster is the question. Are there any other conceivable options the new phone might have that I ought to consider before deciding whether to wait for a new version, or to buy a current version?

2. mwkingsandiego macrumors newbie

Make her happy, don't wait

Waiting for the next rumored "new & improved" Apple product is an endless loop because there will always be a better one just over the horizon, at least in my opinion. The 3.0 software update is due out shortly, which will enhance a lot of iPhone features at no added cost, probably more than the next hardware upgrade. Internet speed is dependent on a carrier network upgrade, which takes years and huge budgets, so don't hold out for that.

In other words, if Wife needs a phone for the criteria you list, then now is a fine time. I have a 16G 3G model and it's really very satisfactory, and I'm looking forward to greater satisfaction with the 3.0 software (although I'm unlikely to be a Day 0 installer...maybe 3.0.1).

3. powaking macrumors 6502

powaking

Get the new phone, swap sims, give her yours and keep the new one :)

4. bigchief macrumors 6502a

With just a feew weeks to go it would be foolish not to wait.

5. patrickdunn macrumors 6502a

patrickdunn

Exactly. She probably does not care about the latest and greatest. You, by asking, probably do. So I'd wait for the new one and swap sims. If her phone is dead, get a loaner or ebay phone and dump it when you're done.

6. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

How many is few though? If you recall last year it took them almost a month between announcement and actual release

7. absolutic thread starter macrumors regular

That is true :p:p I clearly care more about the newest and greatest. But in this case, I just have not heard about major technology breakthroughs in the last 12 months, so I wonder what CAN they put in a new phone that I would necessarily want.