Should we be taking our chargers to work?

AppleDeviceUser

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2012
Canada
My Dad uses his iPhone 5 all day for work. He of course charges it every night (Every phone he has ever had from his first Nokia flip, and Motorola Q, to his BlackBerry Z10 and then current iPhone 5, he has had to charge everyday)
Of all the phones he had he says the iPhone has the best battery life.
(Note: He returned the Z10 due to poor reception and bad battery life, he had to charge it my lunch time!)

daiichi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Selling outside of the MacRumors Marketplace is against forum rules, but if it wasn't, I'd be happy to sell it to you for $634.96 + shipping + insurance. :p :D
lol

I'll do a test now, unplug it at 5:00 PM exactly and then I'll mark the time when it dies.

(I'm just going to use it like I would normally.)

3... 2...

5:00 PM Unplugged

7:30 PM 50% Left

7:30 AM Died

Last edited:

rockitdog

macrumors 68020
Mar 25, 2013
I think people's idea of heaby usage varies from person to person. I think I'm a normal user but my wife would say I'm a heavy user so until we have a definitive definition for different usage amounts it's almost impossible to get a idea of what usage is "normal" and what a "heavy" user is.

robanga

macrumors 68000
Aug 25, 2007
Oregon
I don't see that kind of battery life from my 5, and i am a pretty heavy user including streaming podcasts or music all day. I'm usually in by 8 AM and by 5 or so i am down to the yellow.

It does vary though and i always purchase two chargers for my stuff, one for work/travel and one for home. I do this for Macs and iPads as well.

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I have had 5 different iPhones over the past 6 years.

I have always had to have a charger at home, at work, and in my car. Every model, every OS version, every location around town.

That's just how it is and, quite frankly, I think these "all day on one charge" people are just a fairy tale.

I guess I'm making it up too then:)
I charge it every night and that's plenty for me.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
For everyone keeping track, I left work at 4 PM with 100% battery.

It's 7:45 now and I'm at 60%

And thanks for all the suggestions, but the thing is that my battery is BETTER now than it was on my iPhone 3G which didn't have push email, notifications, geo-fencing, or LTE. So I have a hard time blaming all that stuff when my iPhone 5's battery lasts longer than any previous iPhone I've owned.

And I'm actually not complaining. I know it sounds like it, but I'm just stating my facts. I'm actually perfectly happy with my iPhone's battery life. I know it's just how much I use it. When I go to a theme park it lasts all day because I'm not using it constantly. I'm having fun and it stays in my pocket. It's just the everyday drudgery of real life that causes me to make use of it constantly. Oh well.

Rbtrucking

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2013
Mine lasts easy a whole day. I charge it at night and I use it plenty.
If you think the iphone 5 battery is bad wait till you try a few androids.
I've been with android since the galaxy s2 and I'll tell ya that is complete crap I've never used an android except for the OG evo that had battery life as bad as the iPhone 5. I just got one like a week ago to take a break from android but I still have my note 2 that would absolutely b murder the iPhone 5 when it comes to battery life! I should note that I am running iOS 7 and have never used iOS 6 as a daily driver but unless in the final version battery life is much improved I wouldn't be saying its better than any decent androids out there. Htc one kills it too as well as the gs3 and gs4

Applejuiced

macrumors Westmere
Apr 16, 2008
At the iPhone hacks section.
I've been with android since the galaxy s2 and I'll tell ya that is complete crap I've never used an android except for the OG evo that had battery life as bad as the iPhone 5. I just got one like a week ago to take a break from android but I still have my note 2 that would absolutely b murder the iPhone 5 when it comes to battery life! I should note that I am running iOS 7 and have never used iOS 6 as a daily driver but unless in the final version battery life is much improved I wouldn't be saying its better than any decent androids out there. Htc one kills it too as well as the gs3 and gs4
You're trying to compare the 1st beta of iOS7 for developers to what version of android? You're comparing an iphone with 1400mAh battery to an S4 with 2600mAh? And even then despite the fairly big difference in capacity, there's not much difference in battery life. Studies found that most users will get a day of use from each smartphone.

Read more: http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/mobile-phone/3443400/iphone-5-vs-htc-one-review/#ixzz2Wp22Sko9

There's so many different versions of android to various headset phone models and manufacturers its hard to compared every droid out there.
Here's another comparison if you get to the bottom where the battery life section is.
http://www.gizmag.com/iphone-5-vs-galaxy-s4-comparison/27710/

QCassidy352

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area
I have had 5 different iPhones over the past 6 years.

I have always had to have a charger at home, at work, and in my car. Every model, every OS version, every location around town.

That's just how it is and, quite frankly, I think these "all day on one charge" people are just a fairy tale.
erm... no. My 5 lasts all day and then some - then quite a bit, actually. I'll post a screen shot once I run it down again (fully charged now). That said, strength of coverage is by FAR the biggest factor in my experience. With terrible coverage the drop in battery life is precipitous.

----------

I know it's just how much I use it. When I go to a theme park it lasts all day because I'm not using it constantly. I'm having fun and it stays in my pocket. It's just the everyday drudgery of real life that causes me to make use of it constantly. Oh well.
How much do you use it?? Even if you're using it literally constantly from the time you take it off the charger you should be looking at 8+ hours...

daiichi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
Surprisingly it lasted until 7:00 AM. 13 hours of standby. 5 hours of usage.

Nevermind. I guess it was all in my head.

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
Not that my iPhone 5 battery is awful, but I pretty much have lightning cables everywhere (home, car, office). I do a pretty decent amount of texting and periodically checking FB throughout the day, so by 3pm, my battery is about 35%. I usually charge it up until 4pm, and during that hour I get up to about 75%. Usually I'm good for the rest of the day until I charge my phone again before I go to bed.

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
The iPhone 5 battery isn't all that great. I get better battery life with the Nexus 4.

To the OP. There's nothing wrong with stashing chargers. I keep one in the Office, bedroom, living room and vehicles. Never know when you'll need it. I've forgotten to charge overnight before.

I remember the pre Android/iOS days when I could go a week with my phone before I had to charge but I'm digressing....

chestvrg

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2010
I always do at my current job. And I always have my car charger as well as a back up wall charger in my glove compartment.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Should we be taking our chargers to work?
Each should do what the person needs to do. There's no universal should.

I would think Apple would disapprove of the idea of needing to take your charger with you wherever you go.
Why would Apple care? Even if they did, why would it matter? Again, do what works for you. Apple's happy to sell you as many chargers as you want.

oldtime

macrumors 6502
Nov 27, 2007
Are there comparable smartphones that get more than roughly a day on one charge? This is a problem native to smartphones, not just iPhones.

Mrbobb

macrumors 601
Aug 27, 2012
"Should you?" How should we know?

Just ask it straight man: I take mine, am I insane? (maybe just poor?)

I have charger at home, another at work, so I don't have to lug it everyday. Not only that I have a charger in the living room and another charger in the bedroom, so I never need to unplug anything, and a fifth on my travel bag if I ever take a trip and it's there, I don't forget it. Is cheap, is small, buy a dozen!

daiichi

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 20, 2013
"Should you?" How should we know?

Just ask it straight man: I take mine, am I insane? (maybe just poor?)

I have charger at home, another at work, so I don't have to lug it everyday. Not only that I have a charger in the living room and another charger in the bedroom, so I never need to unplug anything, and a fifth on my travel bag if I ever take a trip and it's there, I don't forget it. Is cheap, is small, buy a dozen!
I just find it easier to have one and take it with me wherever I go, I'm always on the move and don't have a set office. Also, most of the time the battery will drop in places you couldn't predict.

But a car charger is a no brainer.