Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tom Castle

macrumors newbie
Jul 1, 2007
feAtures features features that's all we need guys the MBA doesnt even have front row!!

Umm, the MBA certainly does have front row. Maybe you should actually read the specs before making comments that are blatantly untrue. Front row is a product of Leopard, not a specific computer.

joemarioz

macrumors member
Original poster
Jan 16, 2008
Umm, the MBA certainly does have front row. Maybe you should actually read the specs before making comments that are blatantly untrue. Front row is a product of Leopard, not a specific computer.

What’s in the box
MacBook Air
Micro-DVI to DVI adapter
Micro-DVI to VGA adapter
Cleaning/polishing cloth
MagSafe power adapter
Install/restore DVDs
Printed documentation

devilot

Moderator emeritus
May 1, 2005
Sorry, OP. MBA has FrontRow.
As per Apple's own site; linky. And a screenshot that's hopefully clear:

MBA.jpg

Macky-Mac

macrumors 68040
May 18, 2004
What’s in the box
MacBook Air
Micro-DVI to DVI adapter
Micro-DVI to VGA adapter
Cleaning/polishing cloth
MagSafe power adapter
Install/restore DVDs
Printed documentation

Front Row is listed with the "installed software". It says so on Apples page about the MBA. read this page

It will also be on the "Install/restore DVDs" you listed above.

edit; devilot beat me to it!

eba

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2007
Threads like this are idiotic.

The only reason to buy a MBA is if you want maximum portability. That's why Apple made it.

If you want better performance, buy something else. That's why Apple makes those other products.

What's the mystery here?

ntrigue

macrumors 68040
Jul 30, 2007
I'd like to just point out that performance is not simply measured in floating point calculations where a portable computer is concerned. A more holistic approach, though more subjective, might also consider how well the computer performs in the environment in which it is used, for example, as a desktop video editor, business travel, or mobile photography. Each of these requires different performance and a different form factor. You cannot reduce a product to its processor's ability.

The most reasonable argument I've read in recent weeks. That's why I'm waiting to get my hands on one when they arrive at stores next month. I intend to put the MacBook Air through its paces with my everyday tasks; rip CD - basic iMovie - run Geekbench - Photoshop Elements 6 - hook it up to a 30" ACD if these run to my satisfaction I will purchase.

I intend to test it as a total computer not a 1.6gHz Intel - not a 2Gb RAM - not a 13.3" screen - but as a whole package.

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
My main beef with the MBA is just that its not that much thinner in the end, and its actually got a wider footprint so it isn't any more portable in reality. It is lighter, but 2lbs off an already light MB is really not noticeable- I eat a big dinner I've added a pound. It certainly is not an "ultraportable". I personally would never pay 700 dollars for less performance, 2lbs lighter, and a quarter inch thinner and I think Apple is way off with that price. If the MB was some monster 3 inch thick 8lb laptop (like the Sony I'm using) the MBA would be more worth it but the MB is already so portable the MBA isn't much better.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
The most reasonable argument I've read in recent weeks. That's why I'm waiting to get my hands on one when they arrive at stores next month. I intend to put the MacBook Air through its paces with my everyday tasks; rip CD - basic iMovie - run Geekbench - Photoshop Elements 6 - hook it up to a 30" ACD if these run to my satisfaction I will purchase.

I intend to test it as a total computer not a 1.6gHz Intel - not a 2Gb RAM - not a 13.3" screen - but as a whole package.

rip cds huh. hows the no optical drive working out for ya on that haha

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
My main beef with the MBA is just that its not that much thinner in the end, and its actually got a wider footprint so it isn't any more portable in reality. It is lighter, but 2lbs off an already light MB is really not noticeable- I eat a big dinner I've added a pound. It certainly is not an "ultraportable". I personally would never pay 700 dollars for less performance, 2lbs lighter, and a quarter inch thinner and I think Apple is way off with that price. If the MB was some monster 3 inch thick 8lb laptop (like the Sony I'm using) the MBA would be more worth it but the MB is already so portable the MBA isn't much better.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not Apples target demographic. There are plenty of people out there that think ALL that you mentioned is important.

The MBA is not wider than the MB. In metrics its exactly the same footprint. For those of you that have not yet moved over to the metric system it is 0.02" wider... Do you have any idea how small that number is?

Do you add a pound when you have dinner?! :eek:;):D

Regards,

C

rip cds huh. hows the no optical drive working out for ya on that haha

Pretty well I would imagine; either over the shared drive option, or the optional super drive. Do you expect an ultra portable to have an inbuilt drive?

Regards,

C

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
Sorry to burst your bubble, but you are not Apples target demographic. There are plenty of people out there that think ALL that you mentioned is important.

The MBA is not wider than the MB. In metrics its exactly the same footprint. For those of you that have not yet moved over to the metric system it is 0.02" wider... Do you have any idea how small that number is?

Do you add a pound when you have dinner?! :eek:;):D

Regards,

C

I'm almost insulted Apple thinks people should pay 700 dollars to save 2 pounds and a quarter inch. Face it the target demographic is trend monkeys and apple fanboys for whom apple can do no wrong.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I'm almost insulted Apple thinks people should pay 700 dollars to save 2 pounds and a quarter inch. Face it the target demographic is trend monkeys and apple fanboys for whom apple can do no wrong.

Wow you really nailed it! I hope you do not make investment descisions based on your insightful analyses...

Have a nice day,

C

tuneman07

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2007
I do make my investments based on my insightful analysis which is why I am not expecting a huge boost to AAPL from the MBA. Trend monkeys don't pay the bills for a company.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
I do make my investments based on my insightful analysis which is why I am not expecting a huge boost to AAPL from the MBA. Trend monkeys don't pay the bills for a company.

Apples increase in market share is purely down to their 'trendy' hardware. iPod, iPhone, iMac, MB and so forth. I think you will find that if you have made money on AAPL over the last few years, that is exactly the reason.

The fashion industry, music industry, automobile industry etc etc, ALL are billion dollar industries earning money from trendy products. I hate to tell you this my friend, but the western world puts a huge price on style. Obviously not you, which is good for you.

Those 'trend monkeys' as you call them/us certainly pay the bills. Continue to look down on stylish people if it makes you feel better about yourself... :)

Regards,

C

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008
Apples increase in market share is purely down to their 'trendy' hardware. iPod, iPhone, iMac, MB and so forth. I think you will find that if you have made money on AAPL over the last few years, that is exactly the reason.

The fashion industry, music industry, automobile industry etc etc, ALL are billion dollar industries earning money from trendy products. I hate to tell you this my friend, but the western world puts a huge price on style. Obviously not you, which is good for you.

Those 'trend monkeys' as you call them/us certainly pay the bills. Continue to look down on stylish people if it makes you feel better about yourself... :)

Regards,

C

Bingo!

I definitely wouldn't call the majority of people, trend monkeys. We're visual by nature, we judge initially by what we see before any words are exchanged.

eddietr

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2006
Virginia

I disagree. I think this is somewhat of a halo product for them. Car manufacturers do this all the time. They build certain models that are sometimes not as affordable, or not as practical, or even not as directly profitable. But these models are intended to strengthen the brand.

The Air, on the heels of the iPhone, are helping to solidify the message that Apple is the cutting edge in these types of devices. And in turn that image sells even more affordable models.

Just like Audi makes the R8, not to make a ton of money on the R8, but to sell a lot more TTs and A5s.

LizKat

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2004
Catskill Mountains

I don't know if any of my choices help pay any company's bills and I am not paid to help them figure that out so I could not care less.

When a new product of possible interest catches my eye, I see it, I look into the details, I think it over in the necesssarily personal contexts of my own life and then I buy it or don't buy it and that's that. That is what most people do. Ask around your bricks and mortar neighborhood sometime.

I'd like an F350 pickup truck but my insightful analysis said yo call your brother who thinks about trucks like you think about powerbooks and he will haul your stuff home from the building supply place. Works for me.

I'd like a MacBook Air. I spent an hour with two spreadsheets related to my wishlists and budgets, and ordered the high end one. I don't hear my bro saying why don't you put that money in the bank and buy your own damn F350 sometime. That's maybe related to the presence of the hand-me-down powerbook in his den and the G3-900 ibook before that.

So in my family, maybe Ford and Apple are paying each other's bills :D

woodsea

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
The fool on the hill

IMHO- anyone that is going to use the MBA as there only laptop is a fool with a lot of his money soon parting.
This machine should be $500 less. PERIOD
SJ is just going to be giving another refund similar to the iPhone, when all the the other 3rd party subnotebook sellers come out with computers that have 2 USB, DVD drive of some sort AND a Data Port. I travel alot, and most hotels around the world do not have WiFi yet.
What if you want to listen to a CD, someone gives you of his band in New Orleans, and your MBA can NOT play it. How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?
This was not thought out, except by someone who is out for a quick buck from someone who lives and breathes Apple.
A fool and there money are soon parted.

mashoutposse

macrumors 6502
Dec 13, 2003
IMHO- anyone that is going to use the MBA as there only laptop is a fool with a lot of his money soon parting.
SJ is just going to be giving another refund similar to the iPhone, when all the the other 3rd party subnotebook sellers come out with computers that have 2 USB, DVD drive of some sort AND a Data Port. I travel alot, and most hotels around the world do not have WiFi yet.
What if you want to listen to a CD, someone gives you of his band in New Orleans, and your MBA can NOT play it. How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?
This was not thought out, except by someone who is out for a quick buck from someone who lives and breathes Apple.

You mean, like Toshiba? They just introduced their R500-11I today... at a price of $2900 (no SSD). The SSD model is $3600 with no optical drive.

If I want to listen to a CD or watch a movie, I'll pop it in the USB-powered slim Superdrive. If I need a wired data port, I can connect that, too. As a bonus, I get to disconnect them/leave them at home so that I don't have to lug them around that other 95% of the time.

Catch

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2004
London, UK
How about a cheap movie you buy legally for 3 bucks in Beijing?

:eek:

Gee thats a tough one I admit. I guess a sucker like me will just have to forego that incredible 13"/mono speaker movie extravaganza at Starbucks and go back to the hotel and watch the latest releases on a proper TV while enjoying the fantastic food the Chinese are so great at providing as part of the room service...

Just messing with you really; no offense. I am sure you can think of some more negatives if you try. :D

C

woodsea

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
The fool on the hill

I have a MBP that I can play anywhere. I guess that since I work out, the extra few pounds difference won't make a bit of difference to me. But, I am no girly man ;) Just a joke, people
macbookcommodorecompare.jpg

ahaxton

macrumors 6502a
Jan 17, 2008

A fool and their grammar are already parted.

woodsea

macrumors member
Jan 24, 2007
ahaxton, what does that add to the argument?
When in all of all forums has grammar been a mark of right, wrong or opinion?
If all you can do, is point to someone's remarks w/o corrections, then keep your stones to yourself. If you want, retype my rant!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.