Should we Calibrate the iPhone 4's battery?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Khryz, Jun 24, 2010.

1. Khryz macrumors 6502a

Is it needed right off the bat for better battery performance?

I mean using it until it dies and then charging non-stop to 100% charge?

2. cmwall macrumors regular

I've seen that with iPhone 4's Lithium Ion that that isn't needed.. but I'm not the most reliable source, either.

3. 99MustangGTman macrumors 6502

I would calibrate the battery, same applies to macbooks and etc. so the iPhone should be no more special than others. Right when I get my iPhone 4 I plan on calibrating the battery.

4. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

How low do you allow the battery percentage to be before you plug the phone back in?

I've heard below 20% and others say wait until the phone shuts off by itself to plug it in.

Which is 'right'?

5. headcheese macrumors regular

My battery life wasn't great when I got my ip4.

I did a full discharge/charge cycle twice (letting it shut off both times) and well...see for yourself :eek:

Attached Files:

6. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

Nice!

So it shuts itself down then you immediately plug it in and turn it back on?

7. headcheese macrumors regular

It does shut off on it's own, and when you plug it in it'll show a battery charging thing for a bit and then it will power up when it has enough juice (on it's own).

I should also mention that I read that using the AC wall adapter for the full charge to 100% after a discharge is better then using the USB through your computer. I don't know how valid that is but I did that both times and I am extremely happy with my battery performance now :)

8. warfa macrumors regular

Does it matter if my phone is always plugged in to my car charger? I drive a lot and I stream pandora an keep my phone plugged in and 100% all day. Does that hurt the battery?

9. itsmemuffins macrumors 68030

itsmemuffins

These batteries do not need to be calibrated or molly coddled. You can plug them in and un plug them when ever you feel like it.

There is a hint...automatic USB charging;).

Anyway I never treated my batteries in any special way and have had good performance out of them.

A 1 year old 3G still going strong in the battery department and my new iP4 having remarkable battery life.:)

10. Khryz thread starter macrumors 6502a

I thought calibrating your battery wasn't to necessarily give it better performance, but to simply make it's readings more accurate.

Like if it's uncalibrated, it'll say 20% when it really has 30% .. so technically I guess it improves battery life by making sure your device doesn't think it has less battery life than it really does - but someone correct me if I am wrong.

11. jauhari macrumors regular

jauhari

You Battery is Rock... my battery only run around 28hours standby :(

12. Hologram777 macrumors member

Hologram777

well i havnt done it yet, but when i had the droid incredible, in order to get better battery life you had to charge it to its max, then take it off the plug, turn it off and plug it back in and let it charge. it had a led light displaying the battery status but since iphone dont, then i guess do the same and keep it plugged in for a while?

13. firewood macrumors 604

If you want the bottom 20% of the battery gauge to read more accurately, then wait until it shuts off.

14. Eldiablojoe macrumors 6502a

Eldiablojoe

I try to run it down all the way to zero at least once per month. The rest of the time I plug it in during the day for a few minutes at a time, depending on usage, and then usually plug it in overnight for a full charge.

Right this minute, I am at 52%. Here's my stats:

[​IMG]

15. SL4VE macrumors 6502

so you have used your iPhone for 7h 55m constantly since unplugging with no extra standby

16. ajarnfalang macrumors regular

No he used it for 7.55 and standby for 7.55, so it's been almost 16 hours since he unplugged it.

Standby is when the screen is off. Usage is anytime the screen is on.

17. Mabyboi macrumors 6502

Mabyboi

Im gonna have to do this now... i keep getting less than a day on my battery.. Something to think about.. will post results after i do so.

18. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

This is correct.

19. Jetaray, Dec 4, 2010
    Last edited: Dec 4, 2010

Jetaray macrumors member

I think it would be better to say calibrating allows the onboard software to more accurately display (what the user sees) when viewing the phone.

The circuits (the ones that sense voltage and amperage of the battery) of the phone determine when and if the phone turns completely off not what you see on the display. Meaning the calibration has no effect to how long the phone will stay on. The more accurate display just gives the user a better idea of battery life. The only way you can measure the true life of the battery is to use a separate timing device. Start the timer at full charge and stop timer when phone stops operating.

I could be wrong but because battery life is one of the most important things in a wireless device, I have my doubts they use software to determine when a phone turns off (in relation to available power). I know I don’t want my phone turning off just because the software thinks power is gone; it should only go off if the battery is truly unable to power the device.