Should we cancel our pre-orders now that TB3 has no support

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AdonisSMU, Nov 3, 2016.

1. AdonisSMU macrumors 603

Should be cancel our pre-orders until Apple can release a MacBook Pro without so many issues.

2. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

Yes, but only if your order is in line before mine.

Otherwise, seriously?!? It doesn't work with a single crummy chip... yes, let's just all freak out...

3. cmaier macrumors G3

It doesn't work with some TI-based devices that probably aren't fully up to Intel's spec. It works fine with Intel-based devices, and presumably at some point TI will get its act together or Apple will issue a software update to compensate.

4. papa8706 macrumors 6502a

I must have missed something. What're the issues you guys are referring to?

5. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

There's a Texas Instruments chip that says it supports thunderbolt 3, but has a bad implementation. It doesn't work with the MacBook Pro.

It's like complaining that a Kia brake pad won't fit on your Lexus, and demanding Lexus fix their car so it will....

6. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Not quite, since Thunderbolt 3 is supposed to be a standard. If you want to stick with a car analogy, it's akin to complaining that Bridgestone tires won't fit on your car despite ordering the correct fitment.

7. WolfSnap macrumors 6502a

WolfSnap

In this case, Bridgestone used metric instead of inches though, and made the tire way too small as a result...

8. cmaier macrumors G3

It's not the correct fitment. All signs point to the ti chips not meeting the spec, since no problems with intel-based stuff.

9. Floris macrumors 68020

Floris

Yes, don't buy something you don't want.
    No, buy something you want.

10. lobo1978 macrumors 6502

lobo1978

Oh yes! It's a disaster I agree. Now, go ahead and cancel it, you will loosen queue a little bit.

Again, when did you pre-order?

I thought you cancel it, when they "removed" iconic startup chime...

11. voyagerd macrumors 65816

voyagerd

I went and bought so many adapters already... :(

12. vcboard macrumors member

If you can live with playing roulette whenever you're buying new device to attach to your MBP, keep it.

For me I'll wait until the whole USB-C / TB3 stabilise. Enough insult to have to pay premium for mediocrity and being beta tester at that while dropping my productivity. It's the hassle of having to do research and return the things if they don't work. I just want to buy and use for my work.

13. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Yes, I suggest all of you cancel your orders immediately so my order moves further up in the queue. :)

Seriously though, I'm not so sure this is Apple's fault. We are in a transition phase with all this stuff and we can expect some incompatibility until things settle down.

14. cmaier macrumors G3

True. In the mean time, you can connect your TB3 TI-based products to your... umm... do you have any?

15. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

Don't forget this device is also Ram Gimped. Why spend top dollar for a beta product?

16. cmaier macrumors G3

Has the same amount of RAM as my current MBP, and more RAM than I need or have ever needed. I don't design microprocessors anymore, but when I did even those workstations never had more RAM than these machines. And in the unlikely event I do something that requires transient memory greater than physical memory, the fact that it has the world's fastest SSD (i ordered the 2TB version) means that virtual memory paging will be fast enough that I probably won't even notice. "Beta product" is silly.

17. terraphantm macrumors 68040

Except those TI chips work fine with other thubderbolt 3 computers and even work fine when running Windows on the MBPs. It's an Apple limitation.

18. Macalway macrumors 68020

Yes

Everyone cancel your order

Done......

19. cmaier macrumors G3

They work "fine" on some, less fine on others.

20. arbitrage macrumors 6502a

I agree, everyone who ordered before 11:40AM PDT on October 27th please do cancel your orders immediately....

21. AdonisSMU thread starter macrumors 603

I would not cancel my order. This machine is amazing. I just wanted to move closer to the front of the line.

22. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

Which is to say: It's apparently possible to make them work. At which point, I think it's up to Apple to either make them work or explain why they can't.

23. cmaier macrumors G3

Apple should follow the spec (which they apparently do, since they use intel controllers and intel create different the spec). Accommodating buggy third party implementations may be possible, but it shouldn't be their priority.

24. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

That is not how specs work. Intel can, and does, create things which fail to follow their own specs. It's happened before, and it will happen again.

Does the spec state that you should specifically blacklist a particular chipset? If not, then blacklisting that chipset isn't "following the spec".

In the absence of a clear technical statement from Apple as to why blacklisting that chipset is necessary for compliance, the default assumption is that the entire point of having a "spec" is to allow interoperability between competing vendors. You don't see people saying "well, of course they can't drive that chipset, it's not a Xerox chipset, so it's not really a valid Ethernet chipset", do you? No, you don't.

25. Balaamsdonkey macrumors 6502

This has been OP's logic the whole time. Just walk away. Maybe they will too.