Should we expect a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by pgiguere1, Jun 8, 2011.

1. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Given that the next MacBook Air will likely have its mini DisplayPort port replaced with a Thunderbolt port, and likely not have FireWire added, it will be the first computer to have Thunderbolt but no FireWire.

I'm very tempted to replace my 2009 MacBook Pro with the new Air, but I need to use my external FireWire audio interface for professional audio work. There's obviously no thing such as a Thunderbolt to FireWire adapter available right now as there is no need for one, but could we expect one with the release of the new Air?

I know you guys can't predict if companies making adapters will see a market for it, but I was wondering if it's technically possible?

2. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

3. pgiguere1 thread starter macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

Ok, but how can I get it? I see no price or store options.

[​IMG]

Given its size it's probably expensive though.

4. PAPO macrumors 6502

any more news on adaptors? I'm having trouble finding anything

5. lukewitmer macrumors newbie

I want one too. If an adapter might become available, I think I might buy an air as well. Otherwise, I can't import video...

6. KPOM macrumors G5

7. bob99 macrumors member

8. Jamooche macrumors regular

I just switched to the Mac and have a ton of files to transfer over. I guess I'll have to use USB 2.0 until these adapters come out. Previously I was using eSATA and Firewire 800 on my PC. Or, I could "try out" the new display and return it when I'm done.

9. theSeb macrumors 604

theSeb

If someone took out the display and made a TB hub with FW800, gigabit Ethernet, eSata and some USB ports, I would gladly pay about $250. USB 3 would be a bonus.

10. KPOM macrumors G5

Actually, it's a $999 Thunderbolt to Gigabit Ethernet adapter, or a Thunderbolt to USB 2.0 hub. As an extra, you also get a 27" display.

I've seen this touted as the first "desktop dock" for the MacBook series, and first for Apple since the PowerBook Duo in the 1990s.

11. Jamooche macrumors regular

I'd go and buy one today if they made a matte version.

12. mobiletaylor macrumors member

13. jgc macrumors regular

14. yusukeaoki macrumors 68030

yusukeaoki

The question is, is how much that adapter is going to cost...
    I dont want it to be like the Belkin Thunderbolt Express Dock that costs 299USD.

Yet, Apple prices adapters and cables pretty high.
    I dont want this to cost over 30USD...

15. Musicore macrumors newbie

16. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

As someone who was really excited by it when I bought a new MBP last summer I'm beginning to feel the same way as well.
    What a colossal misstep on the part of Apple.
    So much potential wasted.

17. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Thunderbolt, like Firewire, is being used by professionals who can afford it (mainly video folks using RAID).

Yes, everybody would like the fastest connection to be dirt cheap. I like a Ferrari for $10,000 too.

18. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

That's nice, but I'm actually one of those professionals and so far we're working with FW800 and USB3.0.
    It has nothing to do with "affording" it's has to do with "workflow", "ease of use", "availability" and ultimately what your customer wants/needs/provides you with.

None of my clients, Mac users or not, use T-Bolt. They know about it, but it's got zero penetration in their workplace/studio, etc...
    Their reality is my reality.
    When the client hands me five retail 3TB Seagate GoFlex drives with USB3.0 interfaces (because that's what they are using) I can't say "sorry, can you give me a Thunderbolt drive?"

So while a having Ferrari is nice it's not practical as a daily driver, which is what most professionals need to get to and from the gig.
    Also, we've all heard & seen that these days Apple designs for the 99%, which is why I think that Tbolt was such a misstep and missed opportunity.

19. mikeray macrumors regular

It's funny you mention the GoFlex drives, because their connectors are made to be flexible.

http://www.techpowerup.com/159846/Seagate-GoFlex-Thunderbolt-Adapter-Starts-Shipping.html

Thunderboldt is here to stay, it is starting to roll out into PCs this year. It is very forward thinking, maybe they could have waited a year but whatever.

20. jammybastard macrumors regular

jammybastard

I'm very aware of the GoFlex adapters, especially b/c of the excellent thread here.
    I've already ordered two of the Tbolt bases despite mediocre reviews and concerns about heat issues. I'm hoping that it's not a serious because the last thing I need in a studio or edit suite is another device generating heat.

I agree they should have waited a year until their were high end and mid price adapters/drives/accessories were in the pipeline.

I bought into the promise of Thunderbolt when I purchased 2 Tbolt equipped i7 Quad MBPs for work and I'm still hoping that Apple doesn't dump it after 2 years in favor of USB3.0.

21. calvol macrumors 6502a

LOL, I agree. What's the big deal about daisy chaining displays? I bet 5% or less of the Mac population run dual 27" TBD's! Displayport is perfectly adequate for a display technology. To add to the confusion, the Mac TBD doesn't have a DP connection. TB is FUBAR!

22. KPOM macrumors G5

Let's see what happens in 2012 before we declare Thunderbolt to be a failure or a niche. Apple itself might sell some adapters, particularly if it decides to drop the FireWire port from the MacBook Pro.

Anyway, PC Ultrabooks should be released with the Thunderbolt port this year, at which time peripheral manufacturers might conclude the market has become large enough for them to enter. That said, it's a bit disappointing that the ASUS Zenbook Prime does not have a Thunderbolt port. Oddly, it has mini-VGA and mini-HDMI ports, which strike me as silly since, like mDP/Thunderbolt, they need adapters to work with normal displays anyway.

Finally, with Ivy Bridge, we'll see USB 3.0 support come to the Mac in 2012.

23. Musicore macrumors newbie

Honestly, I want to like Thunderbolt. I wish every connection was made exponentially faster, every device streamed 1080p and recorded 60 channels at 128K. But a $50 cable is just not catching on, manufacturers seem like they aren't building for it simply because the cost is so high. USB3 will win for this reason; it's included in the core of all Intel chipsets now. I expect a rush of USB3 devices soon.

24. calvol macrumors 6502a

Is there going to be a DisplayPort -> Thunderbolt adaptor for those of us with a 2010 Air or PC laptop with DP that want to use a TB display?