Should we expect new Cinema Displays in the near future?

Discussion in 'Mac Accessories' started by Marc G., Oct 21, 2009.

1. Marc G. macrumors newbie

Last week I bought a 15" MacBook Pro and a 24" Cinema Display which haven't arrived yet. I was surprised yesterday by the launch of the 16:9 iMacs, and I was wondering if Apple would be planing on moving the Cinema Displays to this format. There's also this IPS technology they will surely be porting to the displays as well, so I don't know what to do. This is a big purchase for me and I don't wanna be outdated so soon.

What's your opinion? Should I return the display and wait for an upgrade?

2. ZizousamA macrumors member

If I were you I would in light of what Apple did with the imacs. You probably need the display, but safe better than sorry. Cinema Displays in 16.9 format makes more sense than the imacs in that format. Or use it for as long as you can and return it right before the return period ends so you don't be stuck with it. I would hate to be outdated in a couple of months or so.

3. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

I can do without the display for now, I just want it to have more room to work in Photoshop, After Effects, etc. and watch videos in HD.

But on the other hand, the MBP display is 9:10 and so is the current Cinema Display. I don't know what to do. :confused:

4. X-JRO macrumors member

Return the bastard and wait I say. Seems like the season to update and I can loosely quote apple saying "We've got a lot lined up for the holiday season" or something like that.

5. AdeFowler macrumors 68020

AdeFowler

My 30" ACD is 5 years old and it's appearance is indistinguishable from the current model. It must only be a matter of time before they're updated.

6. ZizousamA macrumors member

I am not sure when the displays were last updated, but if it was a while ago, and since you can do with out for now, I advise you to return it and wait just a little longer. My advice is not based on any thing other than that this is what I would have done. Who knows they may update soon or announce something, especially if the current model is somewhat old.

7. KidMoe85 macrumors member

The 24" Cinema Display has a H-IPS panel in it (link here: http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1373841).

8. Wehrwolf macrumors 6502

Wehrwolf

Is there a specific reason why you need a 16:9 aspect ratio? You do lose some screen real estate compared to the 16:10 ratio used in the current 24" ACD. For computer displays, 16:10 has some advantages over the more vertically challenged 16:9.

IPS panels are used in the 24" and 30" ACDs, and have been for some time. Unless you want an updated 30" ACD, I'd keep your purchase and enjoy it.

??? Both are a standard 16:10 widescreen aspect ratio...

9. RubbishBBspeed macrumors regular

Am holding out too for word of an update. As much as I love mac's it does annoy me that apple continue to surprise us with fast introductions of updated kit. There's not much between 24 to 27 and then to 30 inch display but 24 to 30 or rather 1200 lines to 1600 line display is. I'm also thinking that with apple flogging the hole grennwashing aspect and there intense promotion of ecological design. Then apple surly must be or about ready to announce some kind of large screen led, oled display.

Am holding out for a six core mac pro with 30 inch (plus) display. Would go for an 8 core but a quad core is sufficient for me but for sake of future proofing would wait for six core.

10. boston04and07 macrumors 65816

boston04and07

According to Wikipedia the current ACD was introduced exactly one year ago, in October of 08. I wouldn't be surprised if they did indeed replace at least the 30" one - its specs and general look are reaallyyy outdated now. I would be interested in a larger screen mainly because I've taken to using my computer as a media center / tv on top of general computing. (I don't own a TV, and something around 30" would be perfect in size for my small apartment). I would like to get a mini and a larger ACD, but if they really don't introduce one within the next 5 or so months, I'll probably just end up getting an iMac. Then again, maybe they won't introduce a new larger ACD to push people into doing just that?

I've read a few articles in the past day about how the 27'' iMac is the "new Apple TV" or whatever, and now that I think of it, it kind of makes sense...that is, after all, what I was planning on using it for! :rolleyes:

11. GoCubsGo macrumors Nehalem

GoCubsGo

Well you'd hope. The 30" ACD is technically outdated and in need of the refresh that everyone wants so very badly today.

I have one and it was a good buy when I bought it but today I would not recommend it. The 27" iMac is a good step towards newer ACDs but they best have a matte option.

12. rdowty macrumors 6502a

rdowty

I'm shocked that Apple has gone this long with only one monitor for sale under $1000. But I doubt we see any more updates until after the holidays. If there was a new display coming out before then they'd probably have announced it already. When the 24" was announced last October it wasn't available until November. I could see them having a 21.5" and a 27" using the panels they already have but since you can't even get a mouse because they're hoarding them for the new iMac's having a separate display in the next couple months doesn't seem very likely.

13. Marc G. thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks guys for your replies. I didn't know the current 24" ACD has IPS already, that makes me feel relieved. I think I'm gonna keep it, after all it was "made for the Macbook" :rolleyes:

Now if they only shipped my items before 2010... It's been a week since I ordered them and the Staus page says they haven't been shipped yet. :mad:

14. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

Actually do you think there will be a chance that Apple will lower the cost of the 24"? $900 is an awful lot to ask now that you can get an iMac with the same resolution display for only $300 more...