Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
They could give me 90% off an American car and I still wouldn't have it. Especially a gas guzzler like a Jeep.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
Don't forget to check on insurance increases and increases in yearly registration fees. Those can add up fast on new cars.

RITZFit

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2007
Just around the river bend
one of the last gen evo's hopefully haha. but seriously, unless your just absolutely itching for a new car, I would say just save the money; no debt is better than a little. I'm sure you'll find a good deal somewhere else later on.

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
30% off their wholesale cost is incredible.

I say the best time to buy a car is right now. Sweet deals everywhere. My parents got their cars for so much less than they're worth, they got 2 cars instead of one.

However, what you're getting is beyond "sale due to slumping economy". It's just a great deal --- that is, for anyone comfortable with buying Jeeps, and wants another Jeep.
Sure, there are those people who say they would never buy an American car, but those people's opinions are going to have that bias regardless of what price you could get it for, so your question isn't really directed at these people. ;)

I don't like Jeeps at all, or most American cars, but if Jeeps have been reliable for you, and it's what you want, then buy it now because you're never going to get a better price. :)

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
Well I meant to buy a car if that's what you need, or want. What do you want, a landscaped lawn, or a new car? I'm not suggesting that you buy a car just because it's a good deal, especially not if it puts you into debt or poverty.

However, if you want to buy a Jeep, and you want a Jeep more than home renovations and going-out money, then now's a good time.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
I don't recommend buying a new car, ever. Even if you are getting an awesome deal, the depreciation is just too much. From what you said this would mean taking on a car payment. Don't dig yourself deeper into debt, especially if you have two reliable vehicles already. Get yourselves debt free with the good position you are in now and then start kicking back some money into savings specifically for your next vehicle purchase. This way you can pay cash or take on very little debt when you next need to get a car. Think about it this way, cars are typically the most expensive thing we buy that steadily go down in value. Why finance something like that in the first place, especially a brand new car that will drop like a rock in the first few years of ownership.

Oh yeah, don't forget that life has a funny way of throwing us curve balls right when we don't need it. Better to be safe then sorry.

jecapaga

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2007
Southern California
I think most of what should/could has been covered. If you have two working vehicles and no payments, no real reason to throw money.

But you are seriously cute and any major purchase you wanted is ok by me

JNB

macrumors 604
I don't recommend buying a new car, ever.

In a "normal" economy, that's usually dead-on. Right now, though (and for likely the rest of the year), new cars are actually a better bet in many ways. I think I've read at least three or four analyses in the last two weeks from generally trusted sources, and the counterintuitive advice seems to be in agreement.

That being said, I'd still have to have a substantial deal (like the OP's 30% off "dealer cost") on a car that I would buy anyway, and that traditionally held its value well. Although as soon as inventories are reduced and the industry looks like it's turning from the bottom, all bets are off.

Myself, I'm eyeballing a Forester.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
That depends on your needs. Do you really need another Jeep? Cars are never-ending money pit with insurance, maintenance, and all.
I am into cars as well myself. But, I get so paranoid about getting a new, nice car as it gets scratched or dented by other drivers in a matter of few weeks in my areas (the New York metro/New Jersey areas).

wywern209

macrumors 65832
Sep 7, 2008
do you rly want to know?
That depends on your needs. Do you really need another Jeep? Cars are never-ending money pit with insurance, maintenance, and all.
I am into cars as well myself. But, I get so paranoid about getting a new, nice car as it gets scratched or dented by other drivers in a matter of few weeks in my areas (the New York metro/New Jersey areas).

hmm that sucks for u tho. the fact that cars get damaged soo quickly. here in WI, my mom's 6 yr old RAV4 from toyota has barely any scratches on it tho some idiot did rear end her car when she as picking up my little sister at the school. Well at least after 3k paid by the guy who hit the car, its all fixed. so all's good. but frankly , a simple camry or corolla works for me as it gets good gas mileage and such. but if i wanted something nicer, a nice coupe would be great but like you said, i would be afraid to take it out fora ride because it might get damaged and might cost a lot in repairs.

YS2003

macrumors 68020
Dec 24, 2004
Finally I have arrived.....
hmm that sucks for u tho. the fact that cars get damaged soo quickly. here in WI, my mom's 6 yr old RAV4 from toyota has barely any scratches on it tho some idiot did rear end her car when she as picking up my little sister at the school. Well at least after 3k paid by the guy who hit the car, its all fixed. so all's good. but frankly , a simple camry or corolla works for me as it gets good gas mileage and such. but if i wanted something nicer, a nice coupe would be great but like you said, i would be afraid to take it out fora ride because it might get damaged and might cost a lot in repairs.
Good to hear there are still many decent considerate people in the country. I am just so paranoid about owning nice things which need to be used in public (like cars, motor bikes, and etc) in my areas near New York City. I did not have to go through this torment while I was in the heart of Tokyo (I had a sports car which did not draw malicious attention from the passers-by. But, it was impossible for me to do so in America as all my brand new company cars are nicked or dented in a matter of a few days. My own cars were garage queens as I could not park in the public parking lot). I consider this is one of my trade offs when I moved to my place here "again."

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.