Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rch5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
Not trying to cause problems for developers but as a consumer, should we stop buying apps because of OS 3.0 coming out in two months? Will developers offer free upgrades or will we be buying all of our apps again?

I think this is particularly key in apps that will use push notifications. I'm hoping that apps like beejive will not make their customers buy "the next version" when 3.0 becomes available.

Again, not trying to cause problems but I don't want to spend all of my iTunes giftcards now and be stuck after upgrading to 3.0.

fleabag323

macrumors newbie
Jan 16, 2009
I don't know if the developers are even allowed to make paid updates, but if you already have to pay $10 if you're an iPod Touch user, I doubt apple would let the developers make you pay even more, when you've already purchased. However, some developers might say inside the game that you have to pay to get more features, AKA in-game purchases.

rch5181

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jan 22, 2009
I think what I'm concerned about is that there'll be the current "Application A" that works on 2.2 and then a new app "Application A Plus" that runs on 3.0 and has push notifications.

rburly

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2009
Florida
I think what I'm concerned about is that there'll be the current "Application A" that works on 2.2 and then a new app "Application A Plus" that runs on 3.0 and has push notifications.

I understand what you're saying and it concerns me too. I've already run across app that are updates that have names changed so the developer can charge more (or the same, but it costs to buy the update).

I see potential problems and don't like the in-game update fees (for new levels, updates, etc.). If I start getting charged for updates, I'll stop buying. If developers go that route, it'll separate the wheat from the chaff.

detz

macrumors 65816
Jun 29, 2007
This would only be ok if there were new features that warrent the cost. Look at desktop software, small updates are free much major versions cost extra.

darkpaw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2007
London, England
As an iPhone dev, the apps I've written so far have been games, and they don't need push notification. I will be releasing versions of Squares, Colony, Linx and Linx Free that work on both 3.0 and earlier. In fact, the updates are ready but I can't release them until 3.0 ships. It's a given that a lot of devs are in this position.

I don't plan on charging for any of my updates, and I think Apple would frown upon anyone doing such a thing. The only way of doing this is to - as someone mentioned earlier - rename the app, and hope that Apple's reviewers don't notice it's already on the App Store under a different name (which they likely won't check).

SFC Archer

macrumors 68000
Nov 9, 2007
Troy, MT
The developers can NOT update their apps to 3.0 yet. Apple will not approve any update that work with 3.0 until it is ACTUALLY released to the public.

You can only buy what is available for the current release so do not be looking for apps to say works with 3.0 until 3.0 is released. Don't blame the Devs as it is just common sense.

If you want 3.0 capable apps on your iPhone then become a beta tester.

There will be a few that try to take advantage of the in app purchasing but the abusers will learn real quick as their apps will get bad reviews and just stop selling. Most will use the system properly and you will start seeing better quality game apps and subscription type apps.

If you limit yourself now then you are also opening the door for apps that would cost $1.99 now and after 3.0 could increase to $3.99 for the purchase. Upgrades will/should remain free for the most part so anything you already own will just upgrade. If there is an dev abuser, you will find a similiar app and that dev will learn an expensive lesson or die.

admanimal

macrumors 68040
Apr 22, 2005
The developers can NOT update their apps to 3.0 yet. Apple will not approve any update that work with 3.0 until it is ACTUALLY released to the public.

You can only buy what is available for the current release so do not be looking for apps to say works with 3.0 until 3.0 is released. Don't blame the Devs as it is just common sense.

There is a difference between saying that an app works with 3.0 versus saying an app supports specific 3.0 features.

A developer can already test an app built to run on iPhone OS 2.0 - 2.2.1 on the iPhone 3.0 beta firmware to verify that everything works the way it should, and then potentially claim that it does work with 3.0 if that is the case. The developer could also make modifications to the app that are still based on the iPhone 2.2 SDK in order to make the app work properly with 3.0.

Now if a developer is already claiming that an app in the store supports a 3.0-specific feature like push notification and that it will be activated when 3.0 is released, then that is a lie since as you said Apple won't accept apps built for 3.0 yet.

Gokunama

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2008
I'm all for this system, I mean being able to charge for worthwhile updates will motivate developers to improve their app, and it will allow consumers to pick and choose the features they want. Say I have a dictionary, and I want the text but not the soundfiles cause they take up too much memory, I can pay for the dictionary and other people that want the soundfiles can pay a little extra for that upgrade.

I'm sure developers will figure out quickly just what kind of updates and how often they can charge for updates pretty quickly, and I'm also certain that if people find out a developer has not updated an app but put the update on the app store under a new name, that some will be very vocal about that (not good rep for the developer).

It'll all workout pretty well I believe.

MacToddB

macrumors 6502a
Aug 21, 2007
Rochester, NY
You could argue that NOW is the time to BUY apps! (of course, I'm a developer so I'm biased!)

1) Responsible developers will keep upgrading their apps, including to 3.0, rather than create separate apps. Contact a developer if you have a question about their plans/support.

2) Prices are likely to go UP as developers support more equipment, add more features, and turn hobbies into full-time jobs. Dave from PocketGod just posted that the app will double to $1.99 (still a bargain).

3) Apple has their 1 billionth app promo, so purchasers have a chance at some cash and prizes!

srl7741

macrumors 68020
Jan 19, 2008
GMT-6
Concerns

You could argue that NOW is the time to BUY apps! (of course, I'm a developer so I'm biased!)

1) Responsible developers will keep upgrading their apps, including to 3.0, rather than create separate apps. Contact a developer if you have a question about their plans/support.

2) Prices are likely to go UP as developers support more equipment, add more features, and turn hobbies into full-time jobs. Dave from PocketGod just posted that the app will double to $1.99 (still a bargain).

3) Apple has their 1 billionth app promo, so purchasers have a chance at some cash and prizes!

I have or had the same concerns as the OP but I would agree with you on this topic. I'm am putting faith in the system that anything I purchase now will work with 3.0 or a free update will be allowed. If not the dev will suffer b/c they will not get my money and i will not return as a customer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.