Should you be buying Verizon stock?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by stanny, Aug 30, 2010.

1. stanny macrumors 6502

Should you? AT&T's stock like doubled up for the period of a few years after the iPhone launched. I know it's buying on a rumor. But if it isn't true most you'll lose is just a bit right.

2. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

Verizon doesn't stand to gain as much as AT&T did now that the iPhone (and smartphone, for that matter) market is much more mature. They'll still see a good boost based on survey numbers, though.

3. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

I bought 10 shares in July for about $26.60, I think its at 29.44 now. It stands to gain a couple bucks more after Christmas I think. Then sell.

4. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

So, you'll make something like 30 bucks after commissions? If I were going to spend that much, I'd be looking into stocks that are sub 5 bucks that have names (e.g. Citi). Just my two cents.

5. chrmjenkins macrumors 603

chrmjenkins

10% return in a matter of months is a bad deal?

6. wvuwhat macrumors 65816

wvuwhat

No, not at all. But, when you're talking about only paying for a dinner, I wouldn't want to take that risk. It would be much more likely that that 10% would be lost in a down economy/commissions, when we're talking about that much, I would feel much more safer making 1-3% in a guaranteed CD/savings account.

But, you know what they say about opinions... I wasn't trying to be derogatory in the least bit, although, re-reading it, it came across that way, but in all honesty, the only way I'm keeping my head afloat while unemployed is being a day trader.

7. obeygiant macrumors 68040

obeygiant

Yeah its not much I'll give you that. I'm basically testing my intuition. I've only got like 4k in my scottrade account and most of it is wrapped up in the Visa IPO (which I should've sold at $90) that is about $75. Its just a game and I'm pretty small-time. In regards to $5 stocks, I bought some AIG after it went belly up and made a killing after it bounced and hit $50.

I did sell my AAPL at $250 and made some money. If it dips below $220 - $220 I'd consider buying again,

8. JsR macrumors regular

I second what wvuwhat posted.

In the UK commission is £15 per trade - so £30 over all once you have purchased and sold the stocks, as well as the stamp duty.

If you buy £20 worth of shares, once you factor in the £30 commission, plus stamp duty, you need to make over £30 profit just to become even.

I don't buy anything less than £2000 these days to make a good return.